Database for Employee Training (1 Viewer)

akk

Local time
Today, 04:43
Hello,

I am trying to create a database with Access to track employee training however I am having a hard time determining how to break out my tables
The information I need to pull is as follows;

Emp Name, Position, Courses req'd per Position including re-certification dates and when the course was last taken.

How would I break out my tables to be able to pull this information when there are multiple courses req'd per person/position and duplicates?

Hoping for some guidance!

Thank you

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Someone posted the attached database somewhere. It seems to be locked up at different points with a password system, but you can get in it to examine the tables and relationships. Maybe this will give you some ideas to start with.

Attachments

• Training Database.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,741

Awesomo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:43
Hi
I would do something like this:

EMPLOYEE

• EmployeeID
  • EmployeeName
  • EmployeePosition
COURSE

• CourseID
  • CourseName
SESSION

• SessionID
  • Session_CourseID
  • SessionDate
SESSION_ATTENDEES

• SessionID
  • EmployeeID

So a Session indicates the date on which a Course was held.
The Session_Attendees table would tell you which employees attended the session, and from there you can work out the Course.
I hope this makes sense, let me know if you have any questions.
Diarmuid

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:43
You may find this model of value, especially if you have position requirements and employee skills.

Attachments

• EmployeePositionTraining.jpg
    EmployeePositionTraining.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,675

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Were I looking to do this, I think I would want to break things down and probably add a few more items. By a few more items I'm thinking of things like Vendor (who is providing the training), it's location (where it is), and perhaps a categorisation of courses.

Would also introduce a table for roles, which would then mean a junction table to simulate the fact that over the lifetime of a term of employment, a person can inhabit multiple sequential roles, whether that be by promotion or simply switching job. Therefore, probably not best to add Role to the employee table as Awesome suggests. You want to keep your history while the situation changes.

I would create a table for Events, which would therefore be the actual information about a training event. It would have information like the CourseID, LocationID, VendorID, and the Start/End Date of the event, as some may occur over several days (e.g. a first aid certificate). There would then need to be another junction table for Employees to Events, so as to simulate that many-to-many relationship.

My course category suggestion comes from the idea of being able to break courses down ( telephony, software, customer service, company policy, compliance).

Thinking wider, is there the potential for one certification to require many courses? If so, you'd need to build that in too.

Awesomo

Registered User.
Local time
Mile-O makes a good point about taking the position out of the Employee table, I think that's a good suggestion.

ssgcarlson

Local time
Today, 06:43
sneuberg,
do you have the password for the database you attached?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Would you have the password for the database?

sneuberg says:- It seems to be locked up at different points with a password system, but you can get in it to examine the tables and relationships.

I would take this to mean that he doesn't have the password!

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've just spent a few minutes looking at the database attached to post #2.
I clicked on every button in the switchboard form and on other buttons on the various forms. Nowhere was I asked for a password.
Perhaps someone could tell me where a password is required

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
I've just spent a few minutes looking at the database attached to post #2.
I clicked on every button in the switchboard form and on other buttons on the various forms. Nowhere was I asked for a password.
Perhaps someone could tell me where a password is required

From the SwitchBoard

1. Click on Train Matrix
  2. Click on Create Required Training Matrix
  3. Click to Enable Macros
You get prompted for a password.

Are you going to tell us how to get passed this?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm, followed those steps and I did not get prompted to enter a password. It just showed the Excel workbook.

forest1000

Local time
I know this is an old post and the database needs to have the Send keys removed from the macros, however, you don't need a password for the file. Right click on all access objects on the navigation pane, select navigation options and then check the box Show Hidden Objects. Once they are listed in the Navi pane, right click and select properties and deselect Hidden. All the objects will be available to be modified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom