Question How do I change? Checkbox or Yes/No in field? (1 Viewer)

RedGloves

Local time
Yesterday, 19:51
I am fairly new to Access. I am trying to create a very simple database to compare Learning Management Systems. In database view, some of my columns/fields are yes/no. Some that I created have checkboxes and some don't. How do I make all of them checkboxes? I can't see any difference between the two in properties . . . and I'm not having any success with Help or Googling this problem. All the answers I'm finding have to do with forms, not database view.

Thanks!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In datasheet view of a raw table, you cannot display a non-Yes/No field as a checkbox because it has more possible values than 1 or 0, true or false, yes or no.

In forms, you can choose how you map things, but it is still unwise to map a checkbox to a non-Yes/No field.

Solution #1 - change the fields to Yes/No.

Solution #2 - rethink your reasons for why the fields weren't Yes/No to begin with. If they can adopt even one more possible state, you didn't really want them to be yes/no fields. Hence you also didn't really want them to be checkboxes.

RedGloves

Local time
The fields are all yes/no. But some show yes or no in fields with default no in dataview. The others show a checkbox in dataview. The ones with checkbox are ones I added inside the program. The ones with yes/no are ones I imported from Excel. I don't know why they are different.

This is the first time I've used Access 2007. I just clicked the create form option and the form has the same issues. Some are checkboxes and some are yes/no fields. . . . I'm sure the answer is really simple and I'm just missing a step.

OK. It's a yes/no text box. I need to figure out how to turn the "selection type" into a checkbox.

Last edited:

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
FYI ... since I have a copy of '07, I changed the format of some yes/no fields in a table design (true/false, yes/no, on/off). In table view and form datasheet view, it showed all checkboxes.

I would say it is something with the import to which I am totally ignorant of. Not intending to hijack, just tossing this observation in.

-dK

RedGloves

Local time
No problem. I really need any help I can get. Directions say to right click and choose "change to" in menu but that option doesn't appear when I right click. Also, I read somewhere to change, I think, "display type" in properties, but I can't find that. I may have to delete those columns and manually add them. What a hassle.

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Doc Man is more versed in this than I am. I wasn't sure if he had a copy of '07 and was assisting to rule that out. As far as importing from Excel, I've never imported Yes/No fields so do not know how they act in that process. My knowledge of Excel is limited to even begin. Apologies.

-dK

RedGloves

Local time
Well, it lets you choose the kind of field it is when you import, and I chose yes/no, but I probably missed something. But I wish I knew how to change it now. I'm just going in and copying a column name, deleting the column and creating a new column with that name--works, but what a hassle. Thank goodness I don't have any data in those columns yet!

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Now, I've used updates query to get a "Yes" text on an import into an Access yes/no format by using criteria. I've also had to use IIF statements on exports to get a textual "Yes" into a spreadsheet instead of the ole -1. Again, workarounds - but it was a one-time import and didn't bother looking deeper for a better solution.

-dK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom