PS3 Initial Setup Issues (1 Viewer)

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:49
Good morning folks,

I've recently purchased a used 80 GB PS3 (Piano Black) and noticed, after some research, how easy it was to upgrade the hard drive in these systems (seeing that it only needs a bare 2.5" hard drive). Luckily, I had a 500 GB kicking around and was able to swap them with no difficulties.

Now, when I turn it on (please note that the system and controller worked great beforehand), it brings me to the first step in the initial setup process where you plug your controller into the console via a USB cable and press the PS button (to sync the controller with the system)... but it refuses to sync.

I've tried several methods with the reset button on the controller and the console, but no dice thus far -.-

Is there anything else I could try? Is there a way I can get past the first screen and/or a way to force the controller to sync with console (i.e. holding a combination of buttons, etc.)?

They both work... I was exploring the PS3 for a while before I did the swap with no issues... So, I don't know why it would just stop working... The controller was even fully charged (and still is) when I was checking out things on the PS3.

Last edited:

SkyCraw

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:49
Figured out what it was!

The Wii U Pro Controller and PS3 Controller USB Cables (I was using the Wii U one) are the same type... but the Wii U cable ONLY transfers power, not data (hence why it wouldn't sync with the console).

Once I got a USB Cable of the same type (think the one I found was for an older digital camera) that I knew could transfer data, the controller synced instantly with the console.

Hope this helps out others with this similar issue! :)

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Today, 22:49
Glad you got it sorted :) Enjoy Gaming!

Connor

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom