Windows 10 Upgrade Modern Setup Host Has Stopped Working error during free upgrade (1 Viewer)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 15:22
Has anyone else had the Modern Setup Host Has Stopped Working error once they wait for the massive download, then click Accept terms to continue?

Several stories detail that around end of November 2015, Microsoft released an update to Windows 10. Evidently it has an error that Microsoft doesn't fully support.

Several months ago, I posted how easy the Window 10 Update was for my old HP Envy 3D with a Pentium 7 (first generation) and fancy 3D 1080 graphics screen.

Now, the basic HP 17" portable (Intel 7 3rd Generation) is stuck in Windows 10 Update Hell.

One of the articles with the best screen shots is:
http://www.kapilarya.com/modern-setup-host-has-stopped-working-windows-10

After 5 attempts, the first half of the "fix" displayed in the article above ended up with the same exact results.

The PC has no 3rd party anti-virus software, all 3rd party media process (e.g. Apple) was stopped. Other than Microsoft Office, it is a very bare bones installation with Windows 7 Home Edition. There are not Thumb Drives or other attached drives attached (undocumented issues with updating Windows 10).

Several of the Microsoft support sites suggest formatting the hard drive and installing a copy of he full Windows 10. That just kind of defeats the purpose? This strongly suggest backing up all documents before using Windows 10.

Sitting on the ledge at this point. Should the 2nd half of the link listed above be tried? Or, will Microsoft be back from the Holidays around May of 2016 to address this November update?

Microsoft as a Service
If Microsoft was a cafe', they might not last very long.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:22
I ended up downloading the iso file and burning a DVD. I was then able to upgrade my win 7 machine with the DVD. Good luck. Win10 is a little quirky and it takes a while to locate some of the features but the more I use it, the more I like it. Happy New Year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom