Searchable database (1 Viewer)

tanc

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:14
Hi I'm not sure if this is the right section but i have an access database of finds from an archaeological site which i would like to put a limited (not editable) copy online similar to the British Museums site: Britishmuseum.org/research/collection_online/search.aspx all i would want it to do is show a picture and soem basic fields, it wouldn't need to be edit-able or anything, is this a simple thing to do? Thanks

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:14
Hmm, well, what version of Access are you using? Are you planning on turning it into a Web Database? You can't just but a desktop database on the web... if that is what you are thinking.

tanc

Registered User.
Local time
I'm on access 2010, I would only need a photo and a few fields of the database to show and respond to queries rather than the full thing, I was thinking of exporting it out as a CSV but I'm unsure of the next step

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
You can't just throw a .CSV file up and have it work like the British Museum's site. You'll have some work to do the first part being to pick a platform and then a place to *store* the data. Oh, and you going to need a domain.

That said, you might be better of looking at the Wordpress templates. There are several that could handle what you want to do with minimal work on your part.

tanc

Registered User.
Local time
Thank Gina, can you recommend any word press themes?

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Sorry but nope... 'cause the ones I use aren't set up to do what you want. I can tell you that most hosting services have templates available which does make the list a little shorter... Wordpress has thousands of themes.

gammacoder

Local time
You can use software like PHPRunner to convert your MS Access database into a searchable web database. Might be an overkill for what you trying to build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom