"Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine" (1 Viewer)

bdhtexas

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:07
"Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine"

Trying to use Access97 on Windows XP and I get an error message.

"Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine"

I've tried everything and it still doesn't want to work.
I've uninstalled and reinstalled
I've tried to find the font, hatten, and it's not there
I've downloaded MDAC 2.8
I've check the permissions in HKEY CLASSES ROOT
I've tried c:\setup/y
I've downloaded AcLicn97.exe and it tells me that it can't find Access

If anyone can help, please let me know

Crilen007

Uhm, Title... *shrug*
Local time
Today, 06:07
Try this

or this

1. Find & rename Hatten.ttf: The presence of this font kicks of a "Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine" error message, so you must temporarily rename it. For some bizzrare reason, File Find did NOT ever search through the C;\Windows\Fonts> folder. In addition, so long as the file was in the Fonts folder, I could not rename it. I moved the file to a C:\Temp> folder then renamed as directed to "Hatten.sav".
2. Rename MSACCESS.EXE to MSACCESS.2k: Oh, good, an easy step that worked!
3. Install Access 97/Office 97 to custom folder: As in when it prompts you to select a directory, put Access 97 into a new folder. Whoops! "Install" was not an option when I fired up the SETUP.EXE on the Access 97 CD, but something like, mmm, Reinstall/Repair was. Oh, bleep! Because SETUP found some portion of files on the disc, it did not recognize this as a fresh install. Consequently, the Change Directory prompt never appear, and SETUP merrily wiped out my Access 2000 installation.
4. Reinstall Access 2000: Toss in my Office 2000 upgrade disc, which said it could Reinstall/Repair, ?Add new features (like customizing the Office Annoyance, er, Assistant). No option for JUST installing Access 2000 alone. <STATION BREAK WHILE OFFICE 2000 RELOADS>
5. Redo steps 1 and 2
6. Rename the Microsoft Office folder to Office2000: Maybe not a smart move, but somehow I need to trick Access 97's setup routine into thinking this is a new install
7. Install Access 97: This time I was able to specify a non-Office 2000 folder to install Access 97 (if you do this, make sure you have the installation codes from the back of the CD holder). Put on D drive in "Access 97" folder.
8. Delete Extra Copy of Office 2000: Oh, my ... when I tried to fire up Access 2000 Friday, the Office 2000 setup wizard kept "configuring" my software. As in apparently loading a new set into a new "Microsoft Office" folder. Evidently it wasn't happy with my renaming of the folder to Office 2000. Delete extra set of files, then rename the Office2000 folder back to "Microsoft Office". The reloads put a fresh copy of Hatten.ttf into the fonts folder, so don't need (it seems ...) the original version. NOW everything works.

Last edited:
R

Rich

The font is actually called Haettenschweiler, just delete it from the fonts folder

Ace Brendon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:07
Re: "Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine"

Dear Crilen007....

I signed up just to thank you as to how detailed your explanation was and how it helped me in getting the issue resolved..... However now after that, i get a different error message which reads.....

MICROSOFT ACCESS RUN TIME ERROR 3044

C:\Hayes Server\Data\yes4\yeshaeya.mdb is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server onto which the file resides.

I get an option to debug, end and cancel.

If I use debug--> Opens VBA which I have no idea.

End will close the database file and cancel will also do the same...

This file, however, opens good on other systems which are also Windows XP and have office 97 Pro installed.

This system too has Windows XP and has Office 97....

It used to open good earlier however now since two weeks it is not working good....

Have tried to delete the file from this system copy it from other system and then try to run.... Still no go...

Have tried to create new user account... Still same issue...

NOTE: THE FILE EXISTS ONTO THE C: ITSELF AND NOT ON Z: As the error states

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have attached both the files as well.....

Attachments

• Error Code.zip
    24 KB · Views: 94
  • VBA code.zip
    88.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:07
Re: "Microsoft Access can't start because there is no license for it on this machine"

Ace -

You might have gotten more attention had you started a separate thread. Be that as it may, ...

If Access thinks the file exists on Z: it is because at some point a linked table was defined using the Z drive. Access remembers table locations until you go into Database Tools >> Linked Table Manager to relink tables in their new locations.

It might be instructive to look at the other systems and see if the Z drive is in use. Alternatively, it wouldn't hurt to verify whether the other copies are linked in the same way as the failing copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom