Monitors - will 2017 introduce a new standard (yet affordable)? (2 Viewers)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 05:00
Since video games need a monitor, what will the future hold?
The computers and graphics cards are now so powerful, many say an i7 fifth generation can never really use all of its resources.

But, what about Monitors?
Years ago, I spent a lot so my primary computer has two 32" way beyond 1080i monitors.
Then, I bought two 29" HP new generation LED monitors that use to be reserved for artist, at a great price. They are only 1080 resolution.
A while back, I bought a 65" Samsung 240Hz 3D OLED 1080. Wow, that was great (and expensive) years ago.

Now we hear about silvernanotubes, 4K, beyond 4K, possibly holographic, goggles ...
What do people have now? What are we waiting for in 2017?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:00
Holographic projection? It would make true 3D gaming be possible. Right now, the virtual game arena might be 3D in nature, but its display is still a geometric projection of a 3D (virtual) image to a 2D display device. VR goggles make it possible to see the virtual area as two images that our brains then meld, but a true holographic projector would do away with the need for VR goggles.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 05:00
You bring up a good point. It is actually 2 1/2 D with the brain filling in the rest.
A true monitor on a coffee table would let people sitting in a circle around it all see the perspective angle of a 3D image.
So far, that kind of projector has not seemed to been announded.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:00
Got to thinking about your topic title...

When you are dealing with a hard-core gamer, do they really CARE whether it is affordable?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 07:00
Nope.

I've bought (really cheap) cars for less than the cost of my last computer at home.

Hell, I just coughed up $200 for a keyboard around a month back.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 07:00
Gold plated keys?

Nope, insane responsiveness.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/k95-rgb-platinum-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-speed-black-na

45g actuation force
1.2 mm actuation distance
6 programmable macro keys
20,000,000 keystroke lifetime for each key
Multiple full profiles available, toggled from the keyboard
(Three profiles can be saved in the keyboard instead of the computer)
USB Pass-through port
Open channel under the keyboard for passing headset cord through
On-keyboard volume and multimedia controls
Anti-ghosting with rollover
Attachable wrist rest
Individual key lighting (just a bonus for me since I never look at it while using it, but vital for some).
It also came with attachable tacky rubber pads for the ASDW keys for FPS games and, oh, I forget, the keys most used by MOBA games.

I do miss the integral video display from my G-19 (which cost $170 about five years ago), but those have been phased out for some reason.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom