Question Need suggestions for table relationship (1 Viewer)

joltremari70

Local time
Today, 07:35
I need to add a new table to an existing db. This table will hold employee awards info, such as employee of the month, safety awards, years of service milestones, etc... I am having trouble deciding how to store this info and relate it to the employee records. This data will need to be queried in the future by things like, how many times an employee has won employee of the year, and which years it was, and how many employees from a certain branch office have won certain awards, etc... If anyone could give some tips or suggestions on how to store and relate this data I'd appreciate it.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:35
What are the tables and relationships in the "existing db"?

What are the "awards" that could be won?
What are/how many Branch Offices exist?

You store data and create relationships based on the business rules of your organization.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 09:35
Usually the best way to achieve any data modeling is to work backwards: Create the report you want to see. I wouldn't worry about formatting nor layout, I would open up Excel and generate a few rows of fake data that demonstrate what I hope to end up with.

From there, you identify the new bits of information this new table(s) will need to hold. You then build that table, populate it with fake data and build a query using it and your existing tables to achieve the spreadsheet you wanted. Once that query contains all the data you need, you build the actual report within Access, at which time you worry about layout and formatting and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom