Runtime error 2114 (1 Viewer)

Paul Buttress

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:13
Hi Everyone, We've recently loaded our Access 2003 onto a Windows 10 PC and everything has been fine for a few weeks. (Don't bother asking why we are using 2003, there is a very good reason. Believe me.)

A few mornings ago we suddenly cannot see ANY jpg images on ANY form on our database. It appears that Access cannot see any jpg images not only through the forms but just creating a link from a folder. We get the error message 2114.

All the other Windows 7 PC's on the network are working fine and showing the jpg files. I've searched the web to no avail so I thought maybe someone has had this problem before.

I think this is a graphics filter problem but just have no clue as to what to do next. Any ideas anyone? Any help would be much appreciated.

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 11:13
this is an object error. Did the error box not show you what code if failed on?
when you do an updgrade the references are lost due to the new versions.....
in VBE (alt-F11), menu, tools, references....
look for a checkmarked item(s) MISSING.
uncheck the missing, and find the newer version, and check that one.

Paul Buttress

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Ranman256 I'll check this out tomorrow. The thing is that no code has changed and all the other PCs that are running the same code are OK. It's just on one PC that running Win10 so I tend to think it's a broader issue. I'll post back.

Paul Buttress

Registered User.
Local time
Checked all the references and all are in order. It's just this win 10 PC.

oriongi

Local time
I have the same issue and they only way i sort this is to do a mirror backup of the computers every 2 month and go back in time and it sorts it out,

I have paused windows 10 updates but still i get the 2114 error every month or 2 and one of the computers only lasted 3 weeks,

I always check for the error in access before i do a mirror backup.

w10pro 1709 (dare not got to 1809)
office pro 2003 sp3

server 2016 where the access file lives.

yorr

Local time
Today, 08:13
This worked for me:
Microsoft Access 2003 shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Run this program in compatibility mode for: -> Windows XP (Service Pack 3) -> OK

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:13
Win10 is touchy about things because of all the security that was added. When I look up error 2114, some of the articles reference libraries that have had .TIF capabilities removed, but it looks like the only thing that was noted for .JPG was sizing issues. How big are images? Thumbnails or full-screen portraits? And do you know if the .JPG was compressed or uncompressed?

oriongi

Local time
Hi I still have this issue on certain computers , it seems to be the ones that use it most that get the 2114 bug,

Windows backup doesn’t seem to work now since around 1903, so using a third party one now,

I have found that if I am on a older version say 1709 or slightly higher versions upgrading to say 1909 can cure it for a short while before it goes wrong again so mirror backup is still needed,

Also not mentioned before if I am on the same pc as the 2114 bug and log off that user and log on as another user it works ok,

So seems like a corrupt user account on that pc

We use office 2016 on most computers but can only use Office 2003 sp3 on the computers using the database, Doing tests to try to get Office 2016 on the database, and hopefully if successful we won’t get the 2114 bug, I hope ,

MBMSOFT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:13
This worked for me:
Microsoft Access 2003 shortcut -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Run this program in compatibility mode for: -> Windows XP (Service Pack 3) -> OK

wow this is the solution.....
I have the same issue as above and I worked normal for couple of months with access 2003 on win10 and then jpg file were just blocked.... I spent several days googling and trying everything to solve this and finally sollution was that simple like this one .....
just adjust compatibility to xp sp3
solved
thanks

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 11:13
could be a PTRSAFE error.
make sure all API functions have it:
Declare PtrSafe Function MyMathFunc Lib "User32" (ByVal ……..

MBMSOFT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:13
You have ptrSAFE error only when you run your code on 64bit office version....
This issue is about running ACCESS 2003(32bit office version) on WIN10 ....
Just follow YORR suggestion from above and graffic filters will allow you to use jpeg~jpg files in access 2003 ... I tried and it works

Karen W

Local time
I've had the same problem when some computers running an Access 2002 database were upgraded to Windows 10. As oriongi noted above "if I am on the same pc as the 2114 bug and log off that user and log on as another user it works ok ". So the workaround we've gone for is just to create a new user account on each machine and move the database front end on to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom