Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Sports, Health & Fitness

Old 03-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
Akyosuke
Newly Registered User

Akyosuke is on a distinguished road
Family Fitness - Treadmill

Hi there,
My children want me to get a treadmill. I think it will be a good idea but they can be expensive. I've tried the treadmill at a gym but are the home treadmills any good.
If we get one everyone will be using it, I don't think it will just gather dust especially as my teen boy is into fitness - any one else got the family a treadmill and are you happy? could you also recommend one?

Many thanks,

Akyosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
Galaxiom
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,352 Posts
Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold Galaxiom is a splendid one to behold
Re: Family Fitness - Treadmill

They are expensive to buy new and have very poor resale value. Of those I have known the novelty wears of very quickly.

They come up in garage sales and op shops for a tiny fraction of the new price where I live.
Galaxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
The_Doc_Man
Happy Retired Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,266 Posts
The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold The_Doc_Man is a splendid one to behold

Even the commercial-grade models I have seen have a poor track record (you should pardon the pun) regarding durability. Treadmills, by their nature, are used in a context where full-grown adults put their full weight on them and try to run. They have to have some level of resistance or you would slip and fall - but if they are too tight, you get no benefit from them because you can never build up any speed.

For me, it is the reality of a neighborhood brisk walk because after my knee surgery, running is not recommended. (Not a replacement knee, just has required work and some parts are still delicate.)

The_Doc_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
Mark_
Longboard on the internet

Location: Not the middle of no where, but I can see the road to it from my house.
Mark_ will become famous soon enough

They CAN be very good, but as has been noted they often are not that useful for home. I've seen them have too many issues requiring repair/replacement to ever want to purchase one. If you are in an area that has poor weather most of the year I could see the investment. Otherwise you are often much better off going for an actual run outside or a good walk.

If you do opt for a home unit make sure you know how you will be using it first, then go for one that matches your needs. The less expensive ones normally either can't take heavy use, can't incline much, or both.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:57 PM   #5
Akyosuke
Newly Registered User

Akyosuke is on a distinguished road

thanks to all
Akyosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
Vassago
Administrator

Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about Vassago has a spectacular aura about

I had one. It broke often with regular use. It basically became a better deal to join a small gym in the long run and use equipment you don't have to maintain yourself. I would definitely recommend using a cheap gym or just using the sidewalk.

If you really want to buy a home one, I second the yard/garage sale method. Check classified or used good sites as well. Even facebook might have some for sale in your area. You're better off buying used than new and giving it a good cleaning. Just make sure it works before you buy and check the prices of the model online before agreeing so you are getting a decent buy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: