Extracting data from a linked excel sheet into a new access table with primary key (1 Viewer)

Finance

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:29
Hi,

I have an excel linked table in access that updates according to the excel sheet.
I need to extract the update data into a new table and assign a primary key to that table automatically so that i can used the data obtained from the excel sheet into converting foreign currrency into CAD.

Someone please help.
I have used a make table query to extract data into a new table from the linked table but the make table query has to be run every day so that the data updates but it then loses it primary key.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:29
The primary key is used as foreign key in related table(s)?

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:29
Use an append query to add new records in the linked spreadsheet to your Access table.

You will need to filter out the new records in your query. You have not provided any information about the data being imported so I can't give any advice on how to filter.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:29
If you want to use the Excel data to update data in the Access table, the PK MUST come from the Excel data. That means you need to find a natural key which might of necessity contain multiple columns. Adding an autonumber to the Access table doesn't solve your problem.

Can you post the Excel data and tell us what combination of columns would uniquely identify a row.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom