Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 11-16-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
jjake
Newly Registered User

jjake is on a distinguished road
Using OLE Object for multiple images on a continuous form

Hello,

I have a form that allows multiple users to sign an agreement. combo box (cboyesno) choices are

Undecided, Yes, No

I have a continuous form that reviews all the open agreements where all parties have not selected Yes. These are open agreements.

I would like to display a nice custom image that will display either a check image, cross image or blank image depending on the selection in the users cboYesNo.

I tried an OLE object field in the table of tblYesNo and insert the image for each selection and reference them on the continuous form but cannot get the image to appear.

Is this the right approach?

Below is an example of what i want to achieve but obviously the individual records will have different results

Last edited by jjake; 11-16-2018 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Added a Picture
jjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
Minty
AWF VIP

Thanked 1,561 Times in 1,533 Posts
Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about
Re: Using OLE Object for multiple images on a continuous form

Did you link the images into your underlying query ?

There is a bar graph / arrow meter demo somewhere that uses this technique. I use it but can't find the original at the moment.

Attached Images
File Type: png BarGraphs.PNG (44.7 KB, 150 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
jjake
Newly Registered User

I embedded them in the table for now because this is a split system with multiple users having a different drive map on their computers, i dont think path linking will work.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #4
Minty
AWF VIP

Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about Minty has a spectacular aura about

Sorry - I meant to say saved in a local table on the FE, as an OLE Object , which sounds like what you have done. It's not normally a big overhead.

As you can see it does work. So I wonder why yours isn't?

Old 11-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
Minty
AWF VIP

The link for the Dashboard Graphics demo used be based at datapig technologies, but it appears to be dead.
Hitech Coach has a load of links on his site to the same demo, and they are dead as well so I'm assuming the site is down.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
jjake
Newly Registered User

I tried searching for it too but every website wants a credit card. that's too bad, that looks to be exactly what i need.

Would i use an bound object frame in the detail field of my continuous form? How do i link this to my table image?
Old 11-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
theDBguy
Newly Registered User

theDBguy is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Rather than an OLE field, I wonder if you could use the image gallery for this but I can’t check right now.

Sent from phone...

|
|
theDBguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:07 AM   #8
AccStudent
Newly Registered User

AccStudent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjake View Post
I embedded them in the table for now because this is a split system with multiple users having a different drive map on their computers, i dont think path linking will work.
In my opinion,all of your partners can use a share disk path to save the img.
for example the path like:\\192.168.0.1\img\
and you put images into the folder “img”,and save the path in tblimg
AccStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:51 AM   #9
MajP
Newly Registered User

MajP will become famous soon enough

Seems like you are making this overly complicated. You only have three images
Quote:
custom image that will display either a check image, cross image or blank image
Distribute the three images with the front end and store in the same folder as the front end. Then use a bound picture control. You know the file name and the path since it is currentproject.path. You will have to bind to a query that concatenates the path and filename base on what you want to show.
MajP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajP For This Useful Post:
jjake (11-26-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #10
Minty
AWF VIP

I would have thought three images stored in the table directly for this would be pretty efficient and work without having to store things externally.

I don't understand why it won't display.

Can you post up your sample data and your form?

The Following User Says Thank You to Minty For This Useful Post:
jjake (11-26-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 06:23 AM   #11
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,686 Posts
isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light

For a similar situation where I need to use the same images repeatedly, I use the method suggested earlier and store several small images in the image gallery.
It's fast, efficient and has little impact on database size

Website links:

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:26 AM   #12
MajP
Newly Registered User

Quote:
I don't understand why it won't display
The likely cause is that the images are not stored as Bitmaps. I believe only bitmaps will render. Other picture types will only show as icons. But yes if the OP uses a bitmap the simple solution is to use an OLE field and it will render in a continuous form.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #13
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light isladogs is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajP View Post
The likely cause is that the images are not stored as Bitmaps. I believe only bitmaps will render. Other picture types will only show as icons. But yes if the OP uses a bitmap the simple solution is to use an OLE field and it will render in a continuous form.
Using images stored in the image gallery, you can have png, gig, or jpg images all of which render perfectly as images (not icons) on a form.

Website links:

Colin
Previously known as ridders : Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
Old 11-19-2018, 08:20 AM   #14
MajP
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Using images stored in the image gallery, you can have png, gig, or jpg images all of which render perfectly as images (not icons) on a form
OK, but that was not the question. The question was why the OLE objects were not showing.
Quote:
I tried an OLE object field in the table of tblYesNo and insert the image for each selection and reference them on the continuous form but cannot get the image to appear.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #15
isladogs
Part time moderator

Yes but other valid suggestions have since been made for dealing with this situation

Website links:

Colin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: