PDF issue (1 Viewer)

epiek

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:10
We load Embedded documents into an Access database, using the command: DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdInsertObject We are inserting these docuents into a SQL back end.

These have to be embedded files as sone of these are then exported to another database. We have been using this system for YEARS now.

Lately only on the newer laptops, we have issues with ONLY PDF files, that it will not open PDF files or Load a PDF file. On the older PCs, no problem they can load files and open them.

Strange thing, if you insert the PDF in a mail message, you can open the PDF file from within the Mail Message.

We can load ANY other type of file, but when trying to load or open an existing PDF file these laptops "Hang" and you have to use Ctrl Alt Delete. When pressing Ctrl Alt Del, there are two background processes for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32 bit) If you stop these processes you can carry on working, and it then gives an error: A problem occured while Microsoft Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX Control.

if you try and open an existing PDF file, the following message shows:
The instruction at 0x5d950db9 referenced memory at 0x00000054. The memory could not be read. Cliuck Ok to terminate the program.

I have tried everything Re installed MS Office 2010, Reinstall Adobe, Reinstall Photo Editor. All to no avail. Any suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks Elsa

Last edited:

epiek

Registered User.
Local time
I have created a complete new database and imported all the items into the new database. This did not help.

I have followed the decompile steps as you suggested; still will not load PDF files.

Each person has the Front end of the database copied onto their desktops. Not all of them have the same version of Windows, but they are only sharing the SQL backend.

Any other file type can be loaded, except for PDF.

I can open PDF documents from any other location. As soon as I try and open it from within Access I get the errors.

epiek

Registered User.
Local time
I did, but it is a very old article and reference Word documents. My issue is only with PDF documents.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the version of Acrobat Adobe that I am running. The DC version?

Only happens on a few laptops, especially the newer laptops.

It also happens when the backend it a normal Access table.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 15:10
This is an issue I've come across caused by Adobe DC. How are you opening the pdf documents from the database.

If you are using application.followhyperlink it no longer seems to work.

I had to change the code to use shell

epiek

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately the documents have to be Embedded, as we are exporting the records with proof of documentation to another MS Access database.

Does the code with shell, apply to embedded objects as well? If so, could you direct me?

epiek

Registered User.
Local time
Re: PDF issue - Adobe Acrobat

I found a solution after MANY wasted hours .

I had installed Office 365 and it automatically installed Adobe DC Reader, which is a Cloud application.

I uninstalled Adobe DC completely and then installed Adobe 10 reader, which is still Freeware.

Everything works OK now!!!

Tip: Apparently one can install both an older version of Adobe and Adobe DC. First uninstall both. Then install the older version. When you install the Adobe DC there is a tick box where you have a choice to leave the older version on your system.

Last edited:

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
Today, 16:10
Good of you to provide feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom