Question DB state? (1 Viewer)

spinkung

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:19
Hi All,

I have a button on a form which when clicked queries a lotus notes db. This places my db in a frozen state for a good 2/3 mins.

My questions is....

If i have multiple users using the db and someone triggers the import will all the other users find the db in a frozen state??

i.e does access proccess the code on the individual machine or is it done at the db location and will everyone be unable to perform actions??

Thanks,
Spin.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
First question are you using a split FE/BE system. If so the processing is done at machine level however the db is ported across the network, interrogated and released.

David

spinkung

Registered User.
Local time
thanks crake,

unfortunately you lost me at "First...".

I haven't split the db into FE/BE. Is it always best practive to do this, does is cost more overhead/time when querying the back end???

can you help me understand "however the db is ported across the network" please??

thanks, spin.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
There a plenty of discussions on splitting mdb's between front end and back end. Not doing so will enevetably lead to corruption. Do a search on this for a more concise explanation. Giving you the reasons here would be like re inventing the wheel.

David

spinkung

Registered User.
Local time
thanks again crake. i have since educated myself on the 10 commandments. :)

Am i right in thinking then that if the db is split that the users no longer have shortcuts on their pc's to the db but actually have the FE db stored locally on their pc's.

Isn't this a bit of a pain in the ass if you make any updates?? or am i getting this wrong and the shortcut to the FE still applies?

thanks,
spin.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Each user will have their copy on their machine and the shortcut will point to the front end, which inturn has links to the back end. Updates can be a pain but there are topics on auto updating of front ends on the forum.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom