Macro Tutorials? (1 Viewer)

AccessPractice

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:33
Does anyone have books or links focusing on Macro?
If so, please suggest.
Thank you

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:33
With perhaps the exception of creating an AutoExec or AutoKeys you can do anything you can do with a macro with VBA and a lot more. I suggest you concentrate on learning VBA. You can get started with this video series.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:33
+ 1 on Snuberg's reply.

Don't waste your time studying macros. They are incredibly clumsy to work with compared to VBA.

AccessPractice

Registered User.
Local time
The reason I asked is that my Access teacher told me that if one is very skillful in using the Access Interface itself e.g. queries, expression builder, macros, many times one doesn't need to use VBA or even doesn't use VBA in the whole project. So I started being interested in deeply learning them.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:33
I would suggest he's not a very experienced Access / Database developer. If he has done a complex operational database purely with macro's I would love to see an example.

AccessPractice

Registered User.
Local time
She just built an application for the largest oil company in my country so she is not inexperienced of course. I think she means if the project is not complicated enough, one can build it without using VBA.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Okay, yes a simple application can be done with macro's, but from a learning perspective listen to what the others have said - learn VBA.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:33
Choosing macros because VBA looks complex is the result of a perception problem.

The only reason to use macros over VBA is for web databases which don't support VBA. However choosing Access for web applications is a misjudgement.;)

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
The reason I asked is that my Access teacher told me that if one is very skillful in using the Access Interface itself e.g. queries, expression builder, macros, many times one doesn't need to use VBA or even doesn't use VBA in the whole project.
I agree with this statement. You can build accomplished solutions without using VBA (to a point). It's actually quite impressive how much automation macros can add to a solution. However, I agree with everyone else, that you should focus on VBA.

For simpler solutions, you can get some nice functions pretty quickly using macros with little effort. But as the function complexity increases, macros become harder, if not impossible to write. VBA may be a bit tough to get started with but it quickly overtakes macros as complexity increases. Inevitably you will find yourself having to step into VBA in any case.

As an example, a common task is to send an email with multiple attachments. I think if you are using a macro then you are stuck with the sendobject function so you can attach multiple attachments. On a similar vein I guess that you can't do any object manipulation in macros? e.g. playing around with an excel spreadsheet. I read here that you can't use DAO in macros and that's a biggie imho.

One other reason for considering learning VBA is that for the most part it is a transferable skill. Many of the concepts in VBA are core to many other programming languages (loops, if statements, subs, functions, datatypes etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom