Header area - feedback please (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:43
I am editing the header area after it being the same for many years. I've already pruned the number of tabs so far.

Now I am looking at moving the tabs to the right of the Microsoft Access Help Center logo, so that a little bit more content goes above the fold.

Any comments on if you think I should leave the Microsoft Access Help Center logo or replace with the Access World logo on the home page of this domain?

My thoughts are that the current one is familiar to current users but less attractive than older users. Feedback on this is very welcome!

jleach

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:43
It's conventional for most sites to have a logo there (which doubles as a link to the home page), so for that reason I'd opt go ahead and switch it. Probably it might spruce things up a bit as well, being that the current text is rather cut-and-dry.

While we're on the subject of the "upper areas", one thing that's a bit of an annoyance is that to get to each main page (today's posts, unanswered posts), I first have to click a little down arrow with a narrow hit window. It'd be nice if some of those were bigger and easier to land on with a mouse, but I also recognize that what my own common links to use are may not be what everyone else's are.

Cheers,

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Are you sure you have to hit the down arrow? Have you tried clicking the text next to it?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Now I am looking at moving the tabs to the right of the Microsoft Access Help Center logo, so that a little bit more content goes above the fold. !

Any comments on if you think I should leave the Microsoft Access Help Center logo or replace with the Access World logo on the home page of this domain?
My thoughts are that the current one is familiar to current users but less attractive than older users. Feedback on this is very welcome!

1. How about adding a News tab to contain a small number of items relevant to site changes (such as this or adverts trial) or Access updates (e.g. new 'modern' charts in May 2016 update). The idea would be that each would stay for a month or so until a new article was available for the page

2. No opinion re logo used but a visual refresh every so often can be a good idea

3. The bit i've highlighted is a very ageist comment Jon! Still perhaps better than saying 'more attractive than older users!' :D

4. I often use the site on a tablet & some items are a bit difficult to click on when using a smaller touch screen e.g. Quote / Thanks / 'Scales' / Report buttons

5. Finally in certain circumstances, the # code button doesn't appear.
I'll check when & edit this post accordingly.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Thanks for the feedback Colin.

1. Yes, good idea. Although I do not have the time or capacity to create regular news updates. But I can see News for Access being a useful thing.

2. Noted.

3. Slip of the quill pen!

4. These buttons are not updatable for these modern devices!

5. Yes, I understand about the code button, although that isn't really a header area issue. One thing at a time!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
1. Good point re time/capacity though there would only be occasional changes methinks

4. No problem. I just have to zoom the display to prevent clicking on the wrong thing

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
This sites software was designed back in the day when there were no tablets. So much stuff is on mobile devices nowadays but it is a huge job to upgrade this site as there are so many custom parts to it.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Testing out the new logo. It is pushing content further down. Not sure how you guys feel like it now it is in place.

Edit: Reduced logo size!

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I agree - a much more "youngerer" look. :cool:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
And now I am wondering about the sidebar. How much benefit does it convey?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't think I've used it more than once.
Personally I think it takes up space without much benefit.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Assuming you mean the list of topics on the right, that's my main method of navigating so I would miss it a lot.
I only use the forum button to view areas not in the sidebar

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@AccessBlaster, yes I agree, They are outdated and will change.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:43
I'm going to guess that the site is undergoing extensive rework. A lot of things don't look like they used to - including the box where we enter comments. It's OK, I'm sure it will all work out. But hoo, boy - does it EVER look a little bit "whacked" right now.

Good luck with the maintenance, Jon.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@The_Doc_Man, what box is that? I haven't edited anything there. What has changed?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
How about something like this?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    77.9 KB · Views: 280

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:43
Or you could incorporate the three tabs in the exiting menu for a cleaner look.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 275

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom