Make ACCDE For Multiple Users (1 Viewer)

vagues0ul

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:35
Do? Is the database split?

yes the db is splited into BE and FE . I got a vb code from another member of the site and its working 80% regarding my query. Can you suggest other way than VB? or it is the good one.

vagues0ul

Registered User.
Local time
Not true I asked a question that was never answered. I just assumed you figured it out and I see I was correct. Good luck on your project.

sorry didnt noticed your comment while reading some moroon's comment. I have replied to that question and will wait for your suggestion. Thanks :)

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:35
I cannot make a suggestion because I did not and still do not have enough information to know what it is you are trying to do. You say you have a split database, does that mean everyone has their own frontend? If you are trying to protect from duplication, is that of the data or the frontend? Are you trying to apply security?

All that said, if you are receiving help in another thread then keep going. It's 80% there I'm sure whomever is helping can get you the other 20%. I volunteer, like everyone else here, and I would rather spend my time helping someone who is not there yet and is still waiting on help.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
sorry didnt noticed your comment while reading some moroon's comment. I have replied to that question and will wait for your suggestion. Thanks :)

This gave me pause. I have a great respect for the folks on this site and it offensive that you resort to name calling of people that are volunteering their time to help you. I am unsubscribing from this thread.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:35
@vagues0ul - I'm on both sites, and in addition to the pointing you to the Cross-post , i did point you to similar threads related to your question.

Everyone on here is an unpaid volunteer, and insulting regular users will not get you far. Generally I'm pretty patient with new users, and my link was purely there to provide you with a guide to the accepted etiquette on most forums that deal with similar subjects.

Good luck with your project.

vagues0ul

Registered User.
Local time
@vagues0ul - I'm on both sites, and in addition to the pointing you to the Cross-post , i did point you to similar threads related to your question.

Everyone on here is an unpaid volunteer, and insulting regular users will not get you far. Generally I'm pretty patient with new users, and my link was purely there to provide you with a guide to the accepted etiquette on most forums that deal with similar subjects.

Good luck with your project.

I am currently getting this error after splitting and sharing the db

Attachments

• 5BBCB3A5-9777-4616-8DB6-E4CEC15BC3F6.jpeg
    5BBCB3A5-9777-4616-8DB6-E4CEC15BC3F6.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 50

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:35
Ah, the "opened exclusive" error. OK, this is controlled by something you find under the FILE tab.

File >> Options >> Current Database brings up a big dialog box with a bunch of options that apply to the current database. (You are allowed to say, "Well, DUH" here if the spirit moves you...)

One of the options is whether you open the database in "Exclusive" mode. Uncheck that. BUT... part two of that message could apply.

If you are sharing that, and the "\" syntax suggests that you are, it is POSSIBLE that the destination folder does not allow the users the correct permissions. In order to use an Access database, you must have MODIFY permissions on the folder and all database files in that folder, and you must have read or pass-thru permissions on any folders above the one holding the DB. When I say "MODIFY" permissions, that is the name of the "summary" permission set that you see if you right-click on a file and follow the properties to the security settings on the file. You DO NOT need to go into the Advanced permission list. In fact, DON'T go there. You'll just confuse the issue.

If it happens that you cannot open the automatic lock file (file type .LDB), then Access gives you that message. The reason it talks about "exclusive access or permissions" is that BOTH of those problems have the same effect - you cannot manage file locking. Having the file write-locked by another user has the same effect as having the file write-locked by the defined permissions. So same error message.

Check those two cases and see if that clears up.

And seriously, "moroon" ??? Do we LOOK like Roger Rabbit?

vagues0ul

Registered User.
Local time
Ah, the "opened exclusive" error. OK, this is controlled by something you find under the FILE tab.

File >> Options >> Current Database brings up a big dialog box with a bunch of options that apply to the current database. (You are allowed to say, "Well, DUH" here if the spirit moves you...)

One of the options is whether you open the database in "Exclusive" mode. Uncheck that. BUT... part two of that message could apply.

If you are sharing that, and the "" syntax suggests that you are, it is POSSIBLE that the destination folder does not allow the users the correct permissions. In order to use an Access database, you must have MODIFY permissions on the folder and all database files in that folder, and you must have read or pass-thru permissions on any folders above the one holding the DB. When I say "MODIFY" permissions, that is the name of the "summary" permission set that you see if you right-click on a file and follow the properties to the security settings on the file. You DO NOT need to go into the Advanced permission list. In fact, DON'T go there. You'll just confuse the issue.

If it happens that you cannot open the automatic lock file (file type .LDB), then Access gives you that message. The reason it talks about "exclusive access or permissions" is that BOTH of those problems have the same effect - you cannot manage file locking. Having the file write-locked by another user has the same effect as having the file write-locked by the defined permissions. So same error message.

Check those two cases and see if that clears up.

And seriously, "moroon" ??? Do we LOOK like Roger Rabbit?

THanks for the suggestion. i will look at the security of files in the shared folder. The file menu setting is already changed and shared folder has read write access. But i havent changed the security settings of files in that folder. (Silly Me) :banghead:

And as for moroon :D i was fedup at that time and no one is helping so wrote the statement in frustration. I mean look at your comment. Simple, easy and to the point to make me understand where i am lagging behind. THanks again for helping regarding the situation. :):):):):):):):)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
i was fedup at that time and no one is helping

I'll briefly comment on the "no one is helping." A lot of the members still have day jobs AND this is a world-wide forum. We've got folks from California, Louisiana, Michigan, and many other USA states. We've got folks from the UK, Mali, India, and our member ArnelGp claims to be "somewhere out there" but we don't press too hard. World-wide membership. The only time zones NOT represented are those Pacific time zones that are not that heavily populated. So the odds are that at any time, 2/3 of our members are either at work or home with family. Add up the hours in the day and you realize you are working with a relatively small population of helpers. All of us volunteer our time and we have limited resources with which to help.

I am not going to chastise you for cross-posting because that has already happened. We actually don't object to cross posting if (a) you reveal it and (b) you show a little patience. It's not like a paid help-desk. We take the problems we think we can solve or at least to which we can contribute constructively. And when we see chatter about having a cross-post, we hesitate because others need our help too.

So I understand being fed up at the time and being frustrated and being impatient. There's not a soul on this forum INCLUDING the veteran members who haven't felt that way at one time or another. But patience, clarity, and civility are the keys to getting help. That hasn't changed for as long as I have been a member here.

So, vagues0ul, don't be vague about this: We are people too, and what goes around comes around. Treat us with respect and you can expect that in return. Treat us harshly and that comes around, too.

One last comment: Read/Write access (if literally true) is not adequate. I said to avoid using the Advanced permissions because MODIFY handles it all. But READ+WRITE does not. There are two little "gotcha" permissions you need: Create (file) and Delete (file) because the Access rule is: The first person to open a back-end file creates the .LDB file and the last person to disconnect from a back-end file deletes the .LDB file. If you don't have Create/Delete fine-level permissions (which are subsumed in the MODIFY high-level permission), you don't have what you need.

vagues0ul

Registered User.
Local time
I am not going to chastise you for cross-posting because that has already happened. We actually don't object to cross posting if (a) you reveal it and (b) you show a little patience. It's not like a paid help-desk. We take the problems we think we can solve or at least to which we can contribute constructively. And when we see chatter about having a cross-post, we hesitate because others need our help too.

I will check it tomorrow when i get back to office. and i am was not asking for quick help or something like that. All i wanted is a healthy answer like you are doing right now which leads me to the actual problem solving solution. I mean what it will be worth if you are taking your precious time and coming to this forum and instead of solving a query with simple answer you just waste the time in mentioning links which make one outbrust (which is my fault)
CJ London, ArnelGp are the best site senior members who always helped me with my silly queries and i mentioned that in my introductive post.

Thank you for mentioning and advising me :) i will keep the words said by you.

P.S can you post any screenshot/s of permissions you are advising about so i can have better idea :)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If I got this right, the attachment shows the "MODIFY" rights group just under FULL CONTROL. All you need to do is check the MODIFY line and you will get all the permissions you need. Don't bother with the "Advanced" button because in this case, "MODIFY" is your one-stop shopping place for the permissions in question. Right-click on the file or folder icon, select Properties, then select Security on the tabbed dialog box. Voila.

Attachments

• Permissions.png
    Permissions.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 38

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:35
All i wanted is a healthy answer like you are doing right now which leads me to the actual problem solving solution.

Just remember, there are people with different levels of experience asking questions. The people answering questions have different levels of experience AND different AREAS of experience.

You may find one person's particular comment unhelpful, but that person may know something that no one else knows. Later you post another question, and that person, the person who you insulted, sees your question and declines to answer, because they think you're a pain in the proverbial.

Many people answering the questions used to ask questions, similar to you, and are now learning how to construct answers. You've heard the saying walk a mile in someone's shoes... Why not give it a try, answer a few questions and you might find that it's not as easy as you might think.

Many questions are need to be deciphered. Your answer is often about getting the person to reveal the real question. Many times answering questions is a cat and mouse game. It's as if people are embarrassed to post the real question, they think that the construction of their database is incorrect and they will get criticised for it. (They probably will, it's call - constructive criticism) or they might think that by revealing something fundamental about their database they are giving away trade secrets!

Answering questions is often a cat and mouse game. Many of my answers to people's questions are guesses, people are asking questions because they are inexperienced, and the nature of their inexperience is often they don't know the correct terms in which to present their question. Often I will provide an answer with the Express purpose of testing the water. I have no idea of the posters level of experience, to the poster it might well seem like a veiled insult, sort of like yourself, you seem to take things personally.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
If you took the time to read the link provided above, you would notice that it provides an OK way to cross post to multiple forums, provided links are provided to the cross posts so that others can see what help has been provided or if a solution has been reached.

https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

This is why cross posting is frowned upon in technology forums. It creates an environment where senior users will spend time to help someone who may no longer need the assistance.

Please respect the senior members you are seeking help from and pay attention when they provide the assistance of posting the cross post link for you so others can see what has been done on other forums. Insults and name calling will only make members here less likely to assist you.

Let's keep this site clean and professional.

vagues0ul

Registered User.
Local time
If I got this right, the attachment shows the "MODIFY" rights group just under FULL CONTROL. All you need to do is check the MODIFY line and you will get all the permissions you need. Don't bother with the "Advanced" button because in this case, "MODIFY" is your one-stop shopping place for the permissions in question. Right-click on the file or folder icon, select Properties, then select Security on the tabbed dialog box. Voila.

Thanks for taking time and posting the screenshot. I will apply this security to the files and folder of database. Bundle of thanks ❤️

vagues0ul

Registered User.
Local time
Just remember, there are people with different levels of experience asking questions. The people answering questions have different levels of experience AND different AREAS of experience.

You may find one person's particular comment unhelpful, but that person may know something that no one else knows. Later you post another question, and that person, the person who you insulted, sees your question and declines to answer, because they think you're a pain in the proverbial.

Many people answering the questions used to ask questions, similar to you, and are now learning how to construct answers. You've heard the saying walk a mile in someone's shoes... Why not give it a try, answer a few questions and you might find that it's not as easy as you might think.

Many questions are need to be deciphered. Your answer is often about getting the person to reveal the real question. Many times answering questions is a cat and mouse game. It's as if people are embarrassed to post the real question, they think that the construction of their database is incorrect and they will get criticised for it. (They probably will, it's call - constructive criticism) or they might think that by revealing something fundamental about their database they are giving away trade secrets!

Answering questions is often a cat and mouse game. Many of my answers to people's questions are guesses, people are asking questions because they are inexperienced, and the nature of their inexperience is often they don't know the correct terms in which to present their question. Often I will provide an answer with the Express purpose of testing the water. I have no idea of the posters level of experience, to the poster it might well seem like a veiled insult, sort of like yourself, you seem to take things personally.

I understand what you have said and also taking responsability of the mess i have created with my attitude. I am guilty on the act but saying that the senoirs should also keep their calm and try to bear questions of aprentice like me. No harsh feelings for anyone :)

vagues0ul

Registered User.
Local time
If you took the time to read the link provided above, you would notice that it provides an OK way to cross post to multiple forums, provided links are provided to the cross posts so that others can see what help has been provided or if a solution has been reached.

https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184

This is why cross posting is frowned upon in technology forums. It creates an environment where senior users will spend time to help someone who may no longer need the assistance.

Please respect the senior members you are seeking help from and pay attention when they provide the assistance of posting the cross post link for you so others can see what has been done on other forums. Insults and name calling will only make members here less likely to assist you.

Let's keep this site clean and professional.

Got your point and others too. This will not happen again in future. My apology to all senior members 🙏🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom