Embedded Bitmap Images (1 Viewer)

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:04
Is it okay to use the built in bitmap images? Will it cause the size of the database to increase? Or should I go through the effort of making a linked image?

Ranman256

Local time
I store the path to the image,to keep the size down.
then loadpicture

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Even for the bitmap images? I feel like since they are baked into the program it shouldn't matter if I embed them. I'm talking about the Picture property for command buttons. They have those tiny images of arrows, record navigation, and so on.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:04
I create two databases with a single form, one using pictures and the other using text in five command buttons. The size of the database with the pictures is:

(364,544 bytes)

With text

(360,448 bytes)

Based on this each picture costs you an additional 1024 bytes. Better upgrade your hard drive :D

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Don't embedded images cause the database to grow over time though? I thought there was some quirk to access caused the database to inflate for no good reason.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:04
I also tried putting some jpg images in a form and found that they increase the size of the database about the size of the images. The weird thing is that when I deleted the form and did a compact and repair the database didn't shrink back to it's original size. So I would avoid putting large embedded images in a database particularly if they are going to change.

I worst thing I've seen inflation wise is PDFs as OLE objects. Each one of those gobbles up 5 MB of space irrespective of the size of the original PDF.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:04
Access 2007 + can handle native formats - jpg images can withstand a get deal of compression - lossy yes - noticeable hardly. Referencing an image is pretty straight forward even with 25000 + jpg images.

Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom