Pre-FE db delivery Checklist (1 Viewer)

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:17
Hi,

I will be distributing my FE db no late than Monday morning to the users.

I can not distribute ACCDE file because I build the db in 2013 but all other users use 2010 and ACCDE file from 2013 is not compatible with 2010. Converting the file in ACCDE by opening the db in 2010 is also not working.

So I am compacting the FE db and doing the following prior to distribution, please let me know if there is anything else I should do to protect the file. I am not too too much concerned about security. Its a group of 15 people who will be using the db

1. Map tables from FE to BE
2. Put the code to minimize access application
3. Put vb code to protect deletion of tables
4. Hide navigation pan
5. Disable f11 key. I did this by going to 'options' and unchecking 'Use Access Special Keys'.
6. Password protect the vb code
7 Hide ribbon by going to 'options'...

Anything else?

Also, do I need to protect BE as well. The users will need to have permissions too access the tables so I am assuming I cant protect it too much.

Thank you

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:17
to get an accde all you need to do is build it on one of the user machines with A2010. It may not be ideal, but it is an alternative. Do you work for the same company, or are the users clients?

I presume you are not installing from offsite.

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
to get an accde all you need to do is build it on one of the user machines with A2010. It may not be ideal, but it is an alternative. Do you work for the same company, or are the users clients?

I presume you are not installing from offsite.

Yes, I work for the same company but I have office 2013 on my machine but the rest of the users are using 2010. I mentioned in an another thread below that when I used my 2013 accdb file to open in 2010 at my home PC, there was a couple of things that didnt work after converting it to 2010 ACCDE.

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1492601#post1492601

Today, i will try this again on one of my colleague's machine to see if it works without any issues else I will have no choice but to use ACCDB file.

Thank you

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:17
I meant compile the code to an accde on his machine.

the A2010 accde will run OK on all the machines, including your own - although it wont matter to you, as you can use the accdb anyway.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
1. Map tables from FE to BE
2. Put the code to minimize access application
3. Put vb code to protect deletion of tables
4. Hide navigation pan
5. Disable f11 key. I did this by going to 'options' and unchecking 'Use Access Special Keys'.
6. Password protect the vb code
7 Hide ribbon by going to 'options'...

Anything else?

I suggest unchecking Allow Full Menus or the user will be able to undo at least 4 and 5.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:17
Perhaps this will help you. It brings all of the properties front and center and gives you a hotkey to get back to it.

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
I meant compile the code to an accde on his machine.

the A2010 accde will run OK on all the machines, including your own - although it wont matter to you, as you can use the accdb anyway.

Ok you are right.

I borrowed another laptop from IT at work for testing which had access 2010 installed. So i created ACCDE from my 2013 db by using my laptop from work and now that 2010 ACCDE is working just fine. Perhaps there is some issue with the 2010 I had on my personal machine.

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
I suggest unchecking Allow Full Menus or the user will be able to undo at least 4 and 5.

I was going to do that but then I realized that its FE file and if the users have to write their own queries they will be able to do it etc.

teachme

Registered User.
Local time
Perhaps this will help you. It brings all of the properties front and center and gives you a hotkey to get back to it.

That is just perfect. Thank you very much.

I was struggling with the fact that if I create ACCDE first then I wont be able to hide the ribbon after and if I hid the ribbon first then I wont be able to create ACCDE.

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom