Re: Clearing Multiple Forms using Add New Record button. (1 Viewer)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 23:54
Re: Clearing Multiple Forms using Add New Record button.

If it is a continuous subform, reduce its height and/or change it to a single form.
However, the tabbed subform already says record 1 of 1.
What do you see if you slide the vertical scrollbar down?
It may be a holder for a new record

TPS

Banned
Local time

If it is a continuous subform, reduce its height and/or change it to a single form.
However, the tabbed subform already says record 1 of 1.
What do you see if you slide the vertical scrollbar down?
It may be a holder for a new record

It was set to continuous yes, changed to Single and it worked correctly.
The vertical scrollbar slid down would show a holder for a new record.
Now I just need to add in the other fields and make it look good/work well.

Set the subform to single form, instead of continuous.

Normally (but not always) a subform is used to enter multiple related records. Hence the ability to see many contacts for a customer for instance.

Single Form worked.

Thank you. I will progress and ask more questions if necessary. I will also press the thanks button on a few posts too.

TPS

Banned
Local time

Does anyone know how to hide the scroll bar within the field?

I.e. the up and down arrow in this screenshot. I've changed the data in the example to dummy data so I can show it now:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time

Yes - there will be scroll bar properties for that text box, simply set them to none.

TPS

Banned
Local time

Yes - there will be scroll bar properties for that text box, simply set them to none.

Thanks. I'll create the whole subform then change it all in one go.

Thank you.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time

Suggest you also reduce the field size so it is no larger than will fit in the box.
Otherwise you could end up with data that cannot be viewed when the scrollbars are removed

TPS

Banned
Local time

Suggest you also reduce the field size so it is no larger than will fit in the box.
Otherwise you could end up with data that cannot be viewed when the scrollbars are removed

Thanks bud. Done that already :).

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time

You're welcome.

For info, scrollbars only appear when a control is active.
There was a lengthy thread some time ago from someone who wanted the scrollbars on all controls to be visible at all times so users were aware extra text was hidden.
Achieving that took some clever code.

TPS

Banned
Local time

You're welcome.

For info, scrollbars only appear when a control is active.
There was a lengthy thread some time ago from someone who wanted the scrollbars on all controls to be visible at all times so users were aware extra text was hidden.
Achieving that took some clever code.

I'll put everything on the form and have no scrollbars, that's the plan anyway!

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:54

@TPS,
You are a long way from the form creation stage. Your schema is still unnormalized. If you expend all this effort to create forms and other objects before finishing your foundation, you will be reluctant to fix things later and you'll end up with an app built on quicksand.

Please, do yourself a favor and go back to the drawing board on your tables and get them defined correctly before moving on. Do some reading on normalization and ask questions as you try to move the pieces around.

The big difference between Excel and a Relational Database such as Access is that in Excel, your data is stored as a report so it is dependent on format and frequently duplicated. In a Relational Database, data is stored once and ONLY once and referenced whenever you need to see it. If you are old enough to remember the card catalog that you ran right into when you entered a library, picture that. It was your map to finding stuff. There were three "indexes". Author, subject, Title. What you are doing is you are trying to stuff all the books in each index box. In a relational Database, Data is stored in the most efficient way to eliminate duplication and therefore potential errors but can be displayed and reported on however you want and however it makes sense to the users. How you store the data is absolutely critical to the development of an application. If you make mistakes in this foundation, you will pay the price essentially forever.

TPS

Banned
Local time

@TPS,
You are a long way from the form creation stage. Your schema is still unnormalized. If you expend all this effort to create forms and other objects before finishing your foundation, you will be reluctant to fix things later and you'll end up with an app built on quicksand.

Please, do yourself a favor and go back to the drawing board on your tables and get them defined correctly before moving on. Do some reading on normalization and ask questions as you try to move the pieces around.

The big difference between Excel and a Relational Database such as Access is that in Excel, your data is stored as a report so it is dependent on format and frequently duplicated. In a Relational Database, data is stored once and ONLY once and referenced whenever you need to see it. If you are old enough to remember the card catalog that you ran right into when you entered a library, picture that. It was your map to finding stuff. There were three "indexes". Author, subject, Title. What you are doing is you are trying to stuff all the books in each index box. In a relational Database, Data is stored in the most efficient way to eliminate duplication and therefore potential errors but can be displayed and reported on however you want and however it makes sense to the users. How you store the data is absolutely critical to the development of an application. If you make mistakes in this foundation, you will pay the price essentially forever.

Thanks, but I can't see any issues with the way that it is now. If you do see any, please let me know?

I've run a test with some people who will be using it and save for small changes (like adding in new buttons and an auto-save type feature on tab click), it works fine and without any issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom