Software (1 Viewer)

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:51
If you had a computers IP Address can someone hack into it?

Alastair

Kodo

"The Shoe"
Local time
Today, 17:51
that's a pretty broad question with lots of dependencies. Should the pc with that IP have open vulnerabilities, then yes, it could be possible.
However, anything is possible but how paranoid do you want to be?

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
You are right in your comment about how paranoid we should all be..

Alastair

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:51
Hi Alastair,

If you have a fixed IP address, then you should be more concerned than if you have an IP address which changes regularly. However, most of the security risks come from email/visiting websites/instant messenger programs and OS vulnerabilities. If you can give some more details of what you are concerned about, I can give you more information, and pointers as to what you can check.

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Alastair,

If you have a fixed IP address, then you should be more concerned than if you have an IP address which changes regularly. However, most of the security risks come from email/visiting websites/instant messenger programs and OS vulnerabilities. If you can give some more details of what you are concerned about, I can give you more information, and pointers as to what you can check.

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
The main item is a web site that i vist shows my IP address, i am also getting e-mail with my IP address on it, the e-mail asks me to click on a link and register it does not say who its from, know i delet them as soon as they appear but my children and wife are not so carefull.

Any advice would be welcomed as to stop these e-mails.

Alastair

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
alastair69 said:
The main item is a web site that i vist shows my IP address,

1. Don't use IE wherever possible. Use one of the many alternatives.

2. There are many security websites you can go to which will check your system for vulnerabilities and advise you how to secure these. I will have a look for some links when I get home, the filtering software they use at work is stoopid (i.e. it doesn't discriminate between sites that advise how to instigate security and how to beat it!).

3. You can use an anonymous proxy to browse the web, so your IP address is kept hidden.

4. A firewall is always a good idea.

alastair69 said:
i am also getting e-mail with my IP address on it, the e-mail asks me to click on a link and register it does not say who its from, know i delet them as soon as they appear but my children and wife are not so carefull.

1. Don't use Outlook Express, use one of the many alternatives.

2. Don't have the "preview" turned on in the default view on your email program.

3. If you can, avoid viewing emails in HTML. Use plain text wherever possible.

4. Use a spam filter. Many ISP's mark spam for you, if not there are many free programs to use which will do this for you.

5. Use web based email if possible, then you have an added layer of protection (I will send you a gmail invite if you like; their spam filtering is very good).

I'm afraid I can't give you much specific security advice on Windows, as I use Linux at home and at work security isn't my job. Of course Linux is vastly more secure than Windows, but this is a big step if you are not aware of Linux.

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
I would it if you could send me that information you mentioned in your post.

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
Any information on this bit would be good:

2. There are many security websites you can go to which will check your system for vulnerabilities and advise you how to secure these. I will have a look for some links when I get home, the filtering software they use at work is stoopid (i.e. it doesn't discriminate between sites that advise how to instigate security and how to beat it!).

alastair69

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for you time.

One final question:

I am using Norton Internet Security 2005, This comes with a fire wall do i need to have a seperate fire wall or is the norton one ok to use?

Alastair

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
alastair69 said:
One final question:

I am using Norton Internet Security 2005, This comes with a fire wall do i need to have a seperate fire wall or is the norton one ok to use?

I've never rated Norton at all. Its been years since I even looked at any though. However, I do not trust ANY commercial security software. Simply because they have a vested interested in you NOT being secure. I would suggest you get both a free virus checker (AVG is the most popular one at the moment; free for home use) and a free firewall (I used to use Zone Alarm, some people have problems with it. Kerio is another one I have heard good things about).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom