creating and editing record in the same form (1 Viewer)

ga11ardo

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:53
I have a form where the user can create a new order. The user input a PO and then a unique orderID is created. there is a subform on the form which is linked through the OrderID which contain details about the order (contains different products, quantities, ect.)

Is there any way that this same form can also function as an order editor, where the user can select an PO and OrderID combination from a dropdown menu and have all the information about the order in both the form and the subform come up so they can edit it (ie. add products, add quantities)

Since the PO is not the unique ID, if i enter an existing PO it only creates another record witht he same PO. If i try and enter an existing OrderID, i am not allowed because it is an autogen field. So how I am able to bring up an existing record I do not know. I know that I could do this with another form; however, I am wondering if there is anyway to accomplish this in the same form.

i have provided all the relevant feilds on the main and subform

frmOrder

txtPO
control source: PO

OrderID
control source: OrderID (autonumber)

frmOrderDetail

txtOrderID
control source: OrderID (linked to main form)

txtOrderDetailID
control source: OrderDetailID

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 04:53
Is there any way that this same form can also function as an order editor, where the user can select an PO and OrderID combination from a dropdown menu and have all the information about the order in both the form and the subform come up so they can edit it (ie. add products, add quantities)
Sure there is, but why would you want to add the OrderID in with this? It is an autonumber, so it would have no significance to a user. The purpose of a PO is to issue an order, so wouldn't there only be 1 PO per order ID? That's what I would think anyway.

The thing to do for something like this is to create a switchboard form (auto or manual) that pop-ups on LOAD of the application itself. Put a couple of buttons there, one for opening the form in EDIT mode, with a WHERE criteria, based an inputting PO value from the user, and the other button for opening the form in DATA ENTRY mode. Something like this would be ideal for a user, as it shows them which choices they have to go for (via the switchboard) before they even open the form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom