By-Passing Security Settings In Access (1 Viewer)

Colorado Spring

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:34
Morning, All...

Is there any way to skirt password-secured code modules so they can be opened in design view and changed? We have a work application set-up by someone who is no longer here.

Thanx for any work arounds that may come to mind.
Karen

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 21:34
Have you tried holding down the shift key as the db opens?

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Have you tried holding down the shift key as the db opens?

That's not going to help with password-protected code. There may be password extracting utilities on the internet, though.

SHADOW

KenHigg

Local time
Surely someone has admin rights...?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 18:34
Surely someone has admin rights...?

Admin rights actually have nothing to do with it IF it is just a password protected module. That is why no one person should have the password to anything when working in a business situation. I developed an Access database for our developers to use when using password protected VBA modules and it was only available to those who had access to the development SharePoint site within our org.

So, a good reminder to all - don't let anyone have unique access to everything and have it so nobody else can get in. Not only can they leave under circumstances where they won't share it, but someone could end up with "Mind that bus! What bus? SPLAT!" and you're suddenly in a world of hurt.

There may be some tools for sale on the web that can get you in, but it is not just a simple process. AND to further make it worse is, if you are using Access 2007, the encryption is more secure and less likely that you would hack in.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
And, in case anyone wants it - here's an empty copy of the repository.

Attachments

• Project Password Repository.zip
    109.8 KB · Views: 209

KenHigg

Local time
Admin rights actually have nothing to do with it IF it is just a password protected module.

How do you password protect a module? I know you can assign rights, etc. using Access security and I know you can password protect an entire database.

???

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
How do you password protect a module? I know you can assign rights, etc. using Access security and I know you can password protect an entire database.

???
Here you go:

KenHigg

Local time
I'll be darn. I did not know that - Thanks Bob.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I'll be darn. I did not know that - Thanks Bob.

No problem. There is just so much to learn about Access that I keep finding out things about it too. I think I'll be worried if I ever start to think that I know it all. :D

KenHigg

Local time
No problem. There is just so much to learn about Access that I keep finding out things about it too. I think I'll be worried if I ever start to think that I know it all. :D

They're dreaming up new stuff faster than we can learn it - :D

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
They're dreaming up new stuff faster than we can learn it - :D

You can say that again and I can tell you that includes the new Access 14. There's some stuff in there that will just blow your mind. It will also change some long-standing "rules" about how we do things in Access. I'm excited for it to come out, for sure.

KenHigg

Local time
You can say that again and I can tell you that includes the new Access 14. There's some stuff in there that will just blow your mind. It will also change some long-standing "rules" about how we do things in Access. I'm excited for it to come out, for sure.

Are they going to that.net stuff?

(btw - What did you do that password graphic with?)

KenHigg

Local time
Not that I know of

SnagIt 9 (a fantastic program - love it and wouldn't want to be without it).

Hum - I use that. Didn't know you could do that annotating stuff with the balloon call-outs and all

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Hum - I use that. Didn't know you could do that annotating stuff with the balloon call-outs and all

yeah, it is great for doing that. I suppose maybe I should put a "SnagIt tutorial" on my website. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom