Mysterious sent and received emails (1 Viewer)

smiler44

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:56
I have 4 e-mail accounts that I use from the same pc. when I log on to outlook express V6 e-mails are downloaded for all the accounts at once.
one of my accounts has just received an e-mail from one of the other accounts. the problem is that i have not sent the e-mail. it does not appear in my sent box. the only thing i can think of is that it was sent months perhaps even as long ago as some 2 1/2 or more years ago hence why i cant find it in the sent box for the last day or two. This has happened once before but can not understand it. it's a bit scary.
Any thoughts? could it just be an e-mail stuck in cyber world?

smiler44

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Does the message contain any personal information, the sort of information that isn't retrievable from any of your e-mail accounts?

My guess would be spam and maybe someone has gotten a hold of your contacts via that account. Are any of your other e-mail addresses stored as contacts on that e-mail?

Or spam in a different way where the sender has impersonated you (by aliasing their e-mail address to yours). In other words, it was sent from a different e-mail address but made to appear that it came from you.

smiler44

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,
Thank you for the reply but I'm not very good with pc's so I'm not sure I follow.
sorry could you explain a little more about
"Does the message contain any personal information, the sort of information that isn't retrievable from any of your e-mail accounts? ....... gotten a hold of your contacts via that account. Are any of your other e-mail addresses stored as contacts on that e-mail?

How do I check if other e-mail addresses are stored as contacts? Also the e-mail that was sent contained a picture that I reconize as being one of mine.

smiler44

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 22:56
He means, what is in the email?

smiler44

Registered User.
Local time
sorry still dont understand. there is a picture as an attachment wioth the e-mail, a picture that i reconize as mine. having double checked the e-mail it looks to be sent from me to my daughter and copied to my wife. the daughters e-mail is on a different pc

smiler44

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
To be put simply, "what does the message in the e-mail read"?

You say you recognise a picture that was attached, "recognise" isn't really a strong word in this context. Is it yours from one of your pc's or is it not?

smiler44

Registered User.
Local time
sorry.
The picture is one of mine, it is of my daughter. The e-mail reads :-

The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:

TKD medal 2.JPG

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent
sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail
security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Got a few questions:

1. The disclaimer, "Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail
security settings to determine how attachments are handled.", is that the same disclaimer someone would see at the bottom of a message from you?

2. Was that e-mail saved as a draft or had you sent that e-mail before?

3. Could it be someone in your family that's playing pranks? :)

Vassago

Local time
Got a few questions:

1. The disclaimer, "Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending or receiving certain types of file attachments. Check your e-mail
security settings to determine how attachments are handled.", is that the same disclaimer someone would see at the bottom of a message from you?

2. Was that e-mail saved as a draft or had you sent that e-mail before?

3. Could it be someone in your family that's playing pranks? :)

Are you sure you never sent this email in the past? It may be an issue with how it downloaded into Outlook and maybe placed the wrong date/time stamp. I've had this happen in the past, so I try to avoid Outlook wherever possible.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 19:56
And then again, a virus will many times send things out from either your own machine or from someone else's who has a virus on their machine and then sends to everyone in their address book but spoofed to look like it is coming from your machine.

Vassago

Local time
And then again, a virus will many times send things out from either your own machine or from someone else's who has a virus on their machine and then sends to everyone in their address book but spoofed to look like it is coming from your machine.

Yes, but it doesn't sound like the case here. Most viruses won't just send a random picture and by chance, only send it to your wife and daughter. They aren't usually that choosy when looking through your address book. ;)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yes, but it doesn't sound like the case here. Most viruses won't just send a random picture and by chance, only send it to your wife and daughter. They aren't usually that choosy when looking through your address book. ;)

So it is clear that it was sent from his computer and not from his wife's or daughter's computer to his? I have seen some pretty strange things that have been done with viruses before so I am just throwing the possibilities out there because it is good to not overlook anything, including the ludicrous. :)

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Are you sure you never sent this email in the past?
Yes it was me. I'm sorry if it has caused you any harm or distress smiler44:eek: But seriously there are "machines" built to impersonate.

smiler44

Registered User.
Local time
hope i can cover all the questions.
Don't know if the e-mail was ever saved as a draft.
Don't know if e-mail was ever sent before
security setting, Block images and other external content in HTML e-mail.
No idea what someone would see if i sent them an e-mail
posititve that no one in family being silly
smiler44

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Well, you not knowing the first two doesn't help narrow things down :)

Send yourself and e-mail from you and look at the bottom to see if it appears.

Do you use hotmail with any of your accounts?

ChipperT

Banned in 13 Countries
Local time
Can you send the email header information (complete)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom