Locked .ldb file (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:11
Should have asked this earlier. What version of XP do you run? Home or Pro or something else? Because the Home version doesn't have the security options, period. On Pro there is way to enable them.

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:11
In this case Excel was not a factor. Although I was in the Process of linking a table so there was another database involved. I ran into all kinds of trouble with .accdb Vs .mdb and figuring that out muddied the watters with this now-locked one. So maybe I did something....
I've got XP Pro SP3.
It is worth hunting for some 3rd party all that might Kill the .ldb ? Presumably if I could get rid of it somehow the .mdb would open/run normally ?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:11
On XP Pro, you can go to My Computer >> Tools >> Folder Options and scroll-find where there is a checkbox for "Simple File Security" - which you must uncheck. If you do that then your XP's file - right-click >> Properties will show you the security tab.

If you can do that, you can check that you have MODIFY or FULL CONTROL (either one) permissions on the database's folder and all the files in that folder. If you don't, then there are combinations of events that will cause a lock file to not be released properly. Though I have to admit it will be quite rare to get to this situation easily.

By any chance do you have a Windows Task Scheduler item that can open the BE for any purpose? Or the FE?

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
Simple File Sharing. Found it and now see the Security tab.There's 5 entries in the Name section. Most have all the "allow" checkboxes grayed out (and ticked). "Everyone" had "Full Control" available though, so I ticked it and tried a delete but got a msg saying in was in use with another program. No indication what program though.
Not sure about a Windows Task Scheduler item, not that I know of. I can open either file with hex editor. Or copy them to another computer?

kirkm

Registered User.
Local time
I installed a Russian program called LockHunter. It told me the ldb file was locked to the Access mdb file that I had linked to. (And was long closed)
Lockhunter offered to unlock it, and reported "success" but the lock on the file icon did not go away and the mdb still would not open. So used its delete option and that worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom