Help me pick myself up and move forward? (1 Viewer)

Aeristan

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:02
Good evening. I apologize that I haven't been on in over a month. My new passion, Amtgard Live-Action RolePlay, has become the focus of my spare time.

Unfortunately, on Saturday, while on the field of battle, I fractured the 5th metatarsal of my right foot and I am now in a cast. Since we here in the US drive "backwards", this means I can not operate a motor vehicle, which in turn means that I have no income. Ohio does not provide short-term injury / disability benefits.

So I've created an account on Upwork, with both "software developer" and "game designer" specialties. My AccessMUD Project is the best piece of my portfolio, and that project's description links back to the thread that I have created on this site to serve as documentation: AccessMUD developer's log.

I know that this is a "long shot" since I have no actual job experience, but I can't think of anything else to try right now. If it's all right with you, I'm going to post the link to my Upwork profile here, just in case anyone knows someone who might need entry-level coding or data entry jobs done. Thanks.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:02
I don't think you are expecting a reply to this thread, however I've decided to bump it up the list in case anybody missed it the first time you posted it.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 15:02
I tried the Upwork site for a while and became discouraged. There is just too much competition, especially for someone with no credentials and no professional background in programming and db design. Wish you better luck.

Aeristan

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:02
June7: Yes, exactly. I don't have professional experience in hardly anything. I do have a lot of really cool "stuff" I've done, but it's all been for my personal enjoyment, never any kind of "work". I think if I keep trying, I will eventually get somewhere... but there are always shady people out there who might try to take advantage of my inexperience.

Uncle Gizmo: My ideal reply would be this:

"Hey! I'm a professional database admin with years of experience! I just got a huge project that is going to involve a lot of tedious data entry. I'll pay you minimum wage to enter the data, so I can focus on the database design and VBA coding. And, if you do a really great job -- I'll let you look at my code when we're finished!"

Do you know anyone like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom