Database on a PDA (1 Viewer)

DanR

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:08
I have an idea of transferring a scaled down version of an Access databse to a PDA. It currently has the usual array of tables, forms and VBA code.

It doesn't need to be Access, although a familiar coding language would be nice.

Does anyone have advice / experiences with db application development for a PDA??

cheers
Dan

Steven Deetz

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:08
Database like options

I have used Pendragon Forms with the Palm operating system to capture information and download to an Access mdb during the sync process. I cooled to using the Pendragon software and my Palm PDA when I was trying to build a sample to demo for a client.

I had found that storing large amounts of records (i.e. over 1,000) on the PDA and updating or creating related records was very slow. My demo involved creating a tree inventory database for the city I live in and then keeping track of all work done on each and every tree. I could open a form and record the work done on a specific tree but to save the record and link it to the tree table took over 1 minute on the Palm. That was about 3 years ago. Today the processor and memory have improved dramatically. If the application you are thinking of using involves a small set of records, then creating a series of forms using either Pendragon or HanDBase is an option.

complexx

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:08
I'm also trying to port some functionality from my access database to PDA. I figured I'd try out HanDbase first. I wasn't impressed. Their website makes it look pretty nice and easy to use, however when I found out that it could not convert my table data properly I dropped it. The tables were fairly basic. For some reason, when I tried to convert the tables I had in access, it had a difficult time with most of the fields that are of type autonumber. It also had difficulty with fields that are just composed of plain numbers as well. I think I'll give Pendragon Forms a shot now before I got back to HanDbase.

When creating the database I was forced to input a whole lot of data by hand because I didn't have it in a digital form to begin with. I'm certainly not going to input it all by hand again ON A PDA. No way. Hopefully Pendragon will be better at converting the tables. I don't mind rebuilding forms and functionality.

JordanR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:08
Hands down the best program for databases on the PDA is SprintDB. Huge fan of the program. It's incredibly powerful. Only catch, which holds true for all PDA database programs, is forms and queries don't synch.
Oh.... SprintDB is for PocketPC only.

spdolan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:08
SprintDB issue

Sorry to piggyback the thread, but I am having trouble setting up a SprintDB database. I am fair-to-middlin at Access, and the DB I am building should be very simple.

We have a college textbook store, and I am building this DB to send students on remote buybacks. What I want to do is have a table in the DB which lists the price for a large number of books (already created and imported into the DB). I then want to have another table which will keep track of what has been bought, and a sum field per "customer" so that the student knows how much loot to hand out.

Where I am messing up is in the form creation. I am not versed in SQL, though I can understand it, I can't seem to write it. Essentially I can create all the tables I need, but assigning fields in a form trips me up. Anyone have any tips on this? email me for more information sean@mandobooks.com

Thanks a ton

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom