vba cannot update (1 Viewer)

exaccess

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:35
Hi Folks,
I have two tables. tblTele has two columns and 300 rows. I use it as input. tbl.telephone has 5 columns, 0 rows. I must copy the 300 rows into the second table so that I have N rows. N<300. The copy process depends on specific values of input fields. Now when a row is complete I add it to the tbl. telephone. But this adding process does not work. Error 13. The essential code is below. Help appreciated.
Code:
Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("tblTelel")
    Set rt = db.OpenRecordset("tblTelephone")
    rs.MoveFirst
While Not rs.EOF
............statements preparing the fields suffixed fn............
    rt.AddNew
    Debug.Print "addnew"
    rt.Fields("ADI").Value = Nz(fnADI, "")
    rt.Fields("SOYADI").Value = Nz(fnSOYADI, "")
    rt.Fields("ADRES").Value = Nz(fnADRES, "")
    rt.Fields("TEL").Value = Nz(fnTEL, "")
    rt.Fields("SEL").Value = Nz(fnSEL, "")
    Debug.Print "sel"
    rt.Update
 EndofLoop:
    rs.MoveNext
    Debug.Print "Loop ended I="; I
Wend

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 06:35
you dont need vb to add records.
use an append query. Thats why they exist.

exaccess

Registered User.
Local time
you dont need vb to add records.
use an append query. Thats why they exist.
I tried that also I am getting the same error. All my fields in target table are strings.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:35
I would also use an append query, but your mistake is probably due to not referring to the source recordset:

Nz(rs!fnADI, "")

exaccess

Registered User.
Local time
I would also use an append query, but your mistake is probably due to not referring to the source recordset:

Nz(rs!fnADI, "")

The reason I am using these variables prefixed fn (Correction the first post was a typo) is that the data in one record of tblTelephone is extracted from 10 to 15 tblTele records. This is quite difficult logic necessitating calculations, scans for strings on field values of consecutive records of tblTele. I considered using these variables in the code to simplify the implementation of the logic. In any case I tried also the SQL version it does not work. Error 13. Help is appreciated. Code is below:
Code:
SQL = "INSERT INTO [tblTelephone] ([tblTelephone].[ADI], [tblTelephone].[SOYADI], " & _
        "[tblTelephone].[ADRES], [tblTelephone].[TEL], " & _
        "VALUES (fnADI, fnSOYADI, fnADRES, fnTEL")
    DoCmd.RunSQL SQL

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If they're variables, you'd have to concatenate each into the SQL string. You'll see the problem using this:

http://www.baldyweb.com/ImmediateWindow.htm

If each record has to be prepared, I'd use the recordset method. Have you set a breakpoint and checked all the values? What is the text of the error?

exaccess

Registered User.
Local time
If they're variables, you'd have to concatenate each into the SQL string. You'll see the problem using this:

http://www.baldyweb.com/ImmediateWindow.htm

If each record has to be prepared, I'd use the recordset method. Have you set a breakpoint and checked all the values? What is the text of the error?

Yes I have a breakpoint and many debugprints in all critical stages. It fails exactly on the rt.update statement. Message Run-time error 13 Type mismatch.
By the way I tried the following test code it failed in the same way.
Code:
SQL = "INSERT INTO [tblTelephone] ([tblTelephone].[SOYADI]) " & _
        "VALUES '(" & fnSOYADI & ");'"
    DoCmd.RunSQL SQL

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In the SQL you've got the single quotes outside the parentheses. For the recordset method to fail with that error, I'd guess you're putting a text value in a numeric field.

exaccess

Registered User.
Local time
Hi PBaldy. As you suggested I continued debugging with recordsets. The funny thing is now I managed to get new records into the table, but I cannot write down the last one. Same error 13. An ideas which may help resolve such issues? Thanks

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
What values are being inserted? What are the data types of the fields?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom