Orlando Shootings (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 09:33
That's my take on it, Col. Hope it was clear enough.

Yes thanks Doc. As always the voice of reason and sensibility.

Shame some other posters here can't come up with sensible comments instead of stupid snide remarks a two year old could improve on.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Why is the NRA so powerful? Surely it is just a club like swimming or basketball.

It seems (to an outsider) that the NRA controls the president, a bit like the CIA or FBI do. I'm sure the local bridge club hasn't that power, or maybe they have in The USA's weird politics.

Col

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
Today, 02:33
Why is the NRA so powerful? Surely it is just a club like swimming or basketball.

It seems (to an outsider) that the NRA controls the president, a bit like the CIA or FBI do. I'm sure the local bridge club hasn't that power, or maybe they have in The USA's weird politics.

Col

NRA is an organization for shooters that has about 9 million members. It has no control over any politician other than by campaign contributions.

FBI and CIA do not control the president. That makes about as much sense as saying the BBC controls the Queen or PM.

Then again if your in a nation where a person has the right to start wars just because of who their parents are, you'd probably see many other nations politics as weird.

The NRA has far more members than your local bridge club.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I like it, so innocent. If you believe that about the NRA. . . . Why do you think they contribute tens of millions to politicians?

You know what, I think I'll continue this conversation in the next serial killing thread in a month or so. I reckon it's run its course here. Let's hope the next one isn't boring guns again.

Col

Mark_

Local time
I like it, so innocent. If you believe that about the NRA. . . . Why do you think they contribute tens of millions to politicians?

From your posts regarding how the United States Government works, I'll consider the source for this.

You know what, I think I'll continue this conversation in the next serial killing thread in a month or so. I reckon it's run its course here. Let's hope the next one isn't boring guns again.

Col

Next one? Being optimistic? Well, I'll wait for the next thread for your reply. After all, you won't reply here with a post like that.

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
The founding fathers were very familiar with repeating arms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

Pulled from the Wiki link above...

"The Girandoni air rifle was in service with the Austrian army from 1780 to around 1815. Many references to the Girandoni air rifles mention lethal combat ranges of 125 to 150 yards and some extend that range considerably. The advantages of a high rate of fire, no smoke from propellants, and low muzzle report granted it acceptance. It did have problems and was eventually removed from service for several reasons decades after introduction. While the detachable air reservoir was capable of around 30 shots it took nearly 1,500 strokes of a hand pump to fill those reservoirs."

Yeah that sounds exactly like a 60 round a minute Assault Rifle... :banghead:

Haven't seen any AR shooters having to stroke a hand pump 1500 times to fire it though... I'm sure they are adept at stroking something but it's not a hand pump...:D

Mark_

Local time
@Scott..
Rate of fire for that weapon was high. You could fire as fast as you pull the trigger. Effective rate of fire was between 240 and 300 rounds per minute.

Reload time was short also as the shooter carried extra air reservoirs. Bonus to the Girandoni for a much softer report when fired.

For the record, most fire arms have a rate of fire much higher than
60 round a minute Assault Rifle
. In the case of the Girandoni a skilled marksman could accurately fire about 30 shots per minute, comparable to a modern infantry man with their M-4.

If you really want to learn about fire arms, I'd suggest talking to members of a local shooting club. They can explain things like "Reload time" VS "how long it takes to load a magazine", rate of fire, effective rate of fire, lethal range VS effective range, and a host of other factors.

Truth be told there are still hunting air rifles that can be used. Most are comparable to combustion based hunting rifles and are used for the same reasons the Girandoni was.

Now if you compare the Girandoni to a Brown Bess (standard musket in use by the English army during the revolution) you will see how vastly superior it is to most comparable military arms. The signers of the declaration of independence knew that civilians could purchase far better weapons than the military. One sharp shooter with a Girandoni would be worth 10 armed with slow muskets.

Now if you do want to make a better comparison, I'd suggest getting a quill and writing your response. I'm sure the postal system can suit your needs well. No need to use an Assault Keyboard to spew hundreds of characters a minute. :D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
After all, you won't reply here with a post like that.

Nope, you've lost me again. Any chance you could be less confusing with your posts?
Your replies don't seem to have any bearing on the discussion, which, if you read the title is about the Orlando killings. You tend to err on the sniping type posts, which is somewhat tiresome.

Col

Mark_

Local time
Sorry Colin, can't reply to you. You posted
so I'd best wait.

Maybe if you learned to pay attention to your own posts you'd be less confused.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Sorry Colin, can't reply to you. You posted so I'd best wait.

Maybe if you learned to pay attention to your own posts you'd be less confused.

Phew! At last I've got you off my back. It was the only way to do it and you got hooked like a fish in a barrel.
Now perhaps I can have a sensible conversation with Doc or someone else who knows how to behave properly.

Col

Mark_

Local time
For someone who said they'd stop posting in this thread, you seem to be posting often. Maybe you don't understand what your original post meant? I'd suggest English as a Second Language classes. Should help you understand your own post.

Of course I expect you to still be confused. After all, if you can't understand when you are being racists and demeaning to others, I'd not expect you to understand your own posts either.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Can you quote where I was racist? Or as you call it racists.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:33
ColinEssex said:
Now perhaps I can have a sensible conversation with Doc or someone else who knows how to behave properly.

Damn! There goes my reputation again. Someone DARING to call me sensible. Well, thanks for the compliment, Col. Maybe Frothy will see this and actually think I might be a decent person sometime. I guess the cat is out of the bag on that one, eh?

scott-atkinson

Local time
I am constantly told that if the government would just take away my guns USA would be so much safer. Can someone explain to me why London has a higher homicide rate than NYC.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...er-rate-higher-than-new-york-citys/480860002/

There is a knife culture amongst gangs in the ghetto areas of London, and the crimes are of the majority amongst gang members, no loss there, a scumbag off the street..unfortunatly from time to time and innocent person gets caught up in it, usually being in the wrong place at the wrong time or with the wrong person..

But the answer is not to give everybody Knives, like the answer to gun crime is in the US.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 05:33
There is a knife culture amongst gangs in the ghetto areas of London, and the crimes are of the majority amongst gang members, no loss there, a scumbag off the street..unfortunatly from time to time and innocent person gets caught up in it, usually being in the wrong place at the wrong time or with the wrong person..

But the answer is not to give everybody Knives, like the answer to gun crime is in the US.

Just as I thought. Take away the guns, then the knives then the baseball bats, etcs, etcs, etcs. Evil is what its. I fully understand a person who loses a love one searches for the answer and guns seems like the logical answer. I have chosen to educated people one person at a time.

scott-atkinson

Local time
The answers to Knife issues in London are complex, certainly education and Poverty are in the mix, but so is Drugs, Protectionism, and Peer Pressures..

But certainly by pulling familes our of Poverty and giving them a good standard of living will help alleviate some of the issues..

The break down of family values is a big part too, in these days, both Parents have to work to make ends meet, so who brings up their kids...

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 05:33
The answers to Knife issues in London are complex, certainly education and Poverty are in the mix, but so is Drugs, Protectionism, and Peer Pressures..

But certainly by pulling familes our of Poverty and giving them a good standard of living will help alleviate some of the issues..

The break down of family values is a big part too, in these days, both Parents have to work to make ends meet, so who brings up their kids...

Amen and amen

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:33
This probably won't be a popular comment but I can't let it pass.

No, it won't. Remember the old Chinese proverb: Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.

Putting someone in a decent home and improving their immediate standard of living doesn't work. It has been tried for over fifty years with little or no success. If you don't improve the resident's viewpoint on living and don't improve their education, the home becomes neglected then delapidated then unlivable. Anything you give someone that the person didn't earn has no value to that person, long term.

I am ABSOLUTELY NOT saying that housing projects were great places, because they were small and people were crowded into the buildings. But they started out as clean, well-painted, and furnished apartments. That isn't how they ended up. Even the cases where housing tracts were made with mixed-income targets have not worked out very well. It is a problem of people who won't take initiative.

The solution is to somehow reach the kids before they drop out. Time and again, it is the kids with good educations who come out on top in the rat race. It isn't the material things that drag them out of poverty. It is the knowledge of how to honestly and efficiently earn a living without having cops looking over your shoulder that lets them drag themselves out of poverty.

The best boss I ever had as a contractor was a black man who had pulled himself out of a poor situation. You learn your speech patterns by the time you are about eight years old, so I know he was from a poor neighborhood. But HE got the engineering bug, had the head for the math, and learned to become a successful businessman and government contractor. I would work for that man again in a New York second!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I am constantly told that if the government would just take away my guns USA would be so much safer. Can someone explain to me why London has a higher homicide rate than NYC.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...er-rate-higher-than-new-york-citys/480860002/

The reasons are simple.

Marriage is out of date, so rarely happens these days. Parents have kids then one parent buggers off, the remaining one - usually the female lives on benefits to pay for booze, fags and bingo. No money for food and cares little what the kid does. Eight and nine year old kids are out till 2 or 3am every night, don't go to school because they have been excluded.

The kid drifts into shoplifting, burglary, fights then joins a gang. In the gang they have a knife and have to prove themselves etc etc. They now rob shops at knifepoint and are not worried if they stab the owner or sales assistant.

Parents are constantly in trouble with the law, they live in cheap council flats, fight with neighbours and are generally the low end of society with mental health problems.

I could go on but it's too boring.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom