Getting column totals for Crosstab (1 Viewer)

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:32
I have a small system that is running on access 2010 and lower

It currently has a form that uses pivot tables.

Therefore I'm getting each row and each column with totals.

The user has now moved to access 2016 an lo and behold they've stopped using pivot tables (expletive deleted).

I thought I'd use a crosstab query but although I can see how to get the rows totalled, I can't work out how to get the columns totalled.

Any ideas how I can or whether I should be using a totally different method?

TIA.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:32
I think you need Union your xtab to another query. But since the column if xtab query is dynamic, an element if vba will be involve to build up those columns that youll need to total.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
I think you need Union your xtab to another query. But since the column if xtab query is dynamic, an element if vba will be involve to build up those columns that youll need to total.

Just looked at a UNION but don't the columns have to match as well which they don't added to that the columns can be dynamic.

A S MANN

Local time
Today, 13:02
Add the column fields in a query and show that additional field as row in Cross tab. i am using this method successfully. eg col =1 ,col 2=3 col3=5 Total:Col1+col2+col3 . show Total in cross tab as row.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Add the column fields in a query and show that additional field as row in Cross tab. i am using this method successfully. eg col =1 ,col 2=3 col3=5 Total:Col1+col2+col3 . show Total in cross tab as row.

OK I'll look at this some time. In the meantime I've given the user 2 reports swapping the rows and columns so he can see both totals. Not ideal but he seems happy enough

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time

OK my first thought in having 2 xtab queries is ok but user still wants grand totals for the columns and I'm not sure what you mean here.
the very nature of xtab means I don't know the number of rows or columns as they are dynamic and depend on the data.

arnelgp

Local time
Here is a sample of dynamic union.
View the form and close it when done.
Add more values ti the table not in xtab before and ooen the form again.

Attachments

• xTab.zip
    29.5 KB · Views: 59

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ryetee - you have 2 almost identical threads at the moment which is confusing
Please mark one solved (with a comment) & just use the other

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Ryetee - you have 2 almost identical threads at the moment which is confusing
Please mark one solved (with a comment) & just use the other

I can but one is asking how I can total the columns in a crosstab (this one) and the other says I've found out how to do it using the ribbon but that option isn't open to the user and can I achieve it in VBA. However people aren't answering the question put and coming up with solutions that should be on this thread so I'll close this.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Here is a sample of dynamic union.
View the form and close it when done.
Add more values ti the table not in xtab before and ooen the form again.
By the way this works if the column headings stay the same. If I add E to the table then although this appears in the crosstab it doesn't in the Union. Or if I change A to AA it fails as well

arnelgp

Local time
Use the form. The union is recreated each time u open the form.

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
That's weird it didn't work first time but after closing and opening it now works.
Hmm and thanks. I'll have a further play, erm I mean test!!

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time

I spoke too soon!! What you have is a 1 dimensional crosstab. With ROW being the only 1 entry for the rows. I have 2 diemensions I have customer and products. Doesn't seem to like this.

arnelgp

Local time
Ok i made my data 2d.
But since yiu dont kike ut; i offer no support.

Attachments

• xTab.zip
    31 KB · Views: 51

ryetee

Registered User.
Local time
Ok i made my data 2d.
But since yiu dont kike ut; i offer no support.

Not sure what yiu dont kike ut means but this looks good and if this works I'll love it.
Have to leave to go home now but will try tomorrow (or maybe later tonight)

**Edit - played around with your and it's looking good. I'll see if it works for my crosstab. THanks again.

**Edit 2 - yep works with my data as well so many many thanks. Only problem was I had to call the Total row zTotal to get it at the end. Now to get it past the user!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom