conversion of ms access to visual studio 5.0 (1 Viewer)

sugar

Local time
Today, 07:18
I just recieved Visual Studio 5.0 and I would like to convert ms access 2007 to .net. Is it possible?

sugar

Local time
yes it is possible.

Thank you for your reply.

I was reading somewhere that I would have to buy a seperate packeage.
It's good to know I won't have to.

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:18
Well you can rewrite the application code into VB.NET or another .NET language, and I'm not sure what version of Access you have (2.0 probably) you will need to port the data over to the new database format, I'm pretty sure 2007 cannot create anything prior to a 2003 format, I think it can still read from older Access formats though.

If you wanted to know if there is some automated way of converting these applications to a new technology then I would guess there is not, even if you had the source code for your VB5.0 app there are some pretty distinct differences in the way things are coded now. There may be some 3rd party solutions that will get you close, but I doubt they are free.

sugar

Local time
Actually, I have MS Access 2007. The site I've been for the tool I've been looking for is MicroTools Access Whiz

They say that they have the tool. Does anyone know anything about this company?

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:18
So I looked at the MicroTools Access Wiz, looks like a slick product...but I would urge caution. I think it may convert forms/reports that were built using the form or report wizard pretty well. However if you are using a form that is heavily supported by custom code I would be skeptical about how well it would fair during the conversion process, several of my forms leverage multiple modules / class modules which in turn can call API's and other classes/references. Trying to enumerate through all of those items and engineer it into a .NET solution for the price of this product seems like a bit much to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom