Access FE with SQL 2005 BE! (1 Viewer)

RodgerDJr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:39
So when you open the table is is fine, but when you open the form with that recordsource it is slow?

lala

Registered User.
Local time
yes, and i'd accept the explanation that my form is slowing it down because it's the main form and it has A LOT of stuff on it and colors and conditional formatting

but then why some computers are fine?

and slowing it down to 40 seconds to do anything???

RodgerDJr

Registered User.
Local time
Are all the machines the same? Are they all connected to the network the same way? Does you form have any queries on it? Is it one form or a for with lots of sub forms on it?

yes, and i'd accept the explanation that my form is slowing it down because it's the main form and it has A LOT of stuff on it and colors and conditional formatting

but then why some computers are fine?

and slowing it down to 40 seconds to do anything???

Local time
Today, 04:39
I swore I wasn't going to get involved in this, but here I go, breaking my own rules.

When you have ANY program that has a lot of graphic elements, the better the video card involved (more memory, better processor, etc.), the faster your application will be. Guess what the corollary is. You might want to check that.

Checking back out.

lala

Registered User.
Local time
thank you!!!, don't check back out, this is the one thing that i didn't think about

this might go for one of the problem computers, even though it was able to handle it with the MS Access backend

seriously, i really need your help, don't check out
i talked my boss into switching to SQL and feel very stupid now

yes, my form has a bunch of subforms, and colors, and conditional formatting (i'm a girl, i like colors lol, maybe little too much) but it was working even in Access
SQL is supposed to be better, why did the performance degrade so much?

lala

Registered User.
Local time
Check this out and see if any of the resources are helpful:

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/sqlserverupsizing.htm

he says to name master as my db??? was i supposed to do that?
and then import all my tables there?

i didn't

also, converting queries to sql, will that make a lot of difference on performance? and how then the front end will be connected (??) with those queries, do you know what i mean? all my forms are based on some queries and there's many more queries doing all kinds of things

so if they're in SQL, then how will Access get them??

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Today, 09:39
Lala

That article does not say to name master as your DB, it says not to do that!

Quote:

Create the SQL Server database with the first fixed script (using Query Analyser) (Don't forget to change the db name from master to your db. Yup, I forgot. <smile> Several times. <sigh>)

He means by default when you open a query in mangement studio the database it will be pointing at is the master database, you need to change the drop down list to point at your database. The master database is a
sql server system database and it should not under any circumstances contain any user objects.

lala

Registered User.
Local time
that's what i thought, i guess i missed the sarcasm and i didn't use the studio, so i didn't know that it does that

thank you lol

ok, i just read it again with what you said in mind, and it now makes sense

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
As Bob has already stated you are touching on a quite a few different issues in one go and it's unlikely you will be able to get all the info you need on a forum as people simply don't have the time to take you step by step through the entire migration process.

I am not trying to be unhelpful just honest with you, if you get yourself a book and start reading up you will find that the information and learning curve will be much easier for you to digest.

I fully recomend this book, very detailed and should cover every issue you will encounter.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446

lala

Registered User.
Local time
i totally understand what you're saying and i never expect anyone to feed me anything
i self learned everything i know and i only come here after i tried everything i can think of

SQL, however, is a totally new thing for me, i was thrown into it and i definitely need to read something because i don't know anything about it and you're right, noone here should write a book for me

and thank you everyone for trying to help me with the slowness problem, i got a few ideas that i will try

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 02:39
As Bob has already stated you are touching on a quite a few different issues in one go and it's unlikely you will be able to get all the info you need on a forum as people simply don't have the time to take you step by step through the entire migration process.

I am not trying to be unhelpful just honest with you, if you get yourself a book and start reading up you will find that the information and learning curve will be much easier for you to digest.

I fully recomend this book, very detailed and should cover every issue you will encounter.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Access-Developers-Guide-Server/dp/0672319446

:D Same book I gave a link for - it must be good :D
(it is very good)

SQL_Hell

SQL Server DBA
Local time
Hehe, I didn't even look at your link tbh :D

Well Lala you can rest assured it's a good book ;)

lala

Registered User.
Local time
i am, but i'd trust ya separately too))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom