Two issues regarding site behavior (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:31
1. I tried to post a new thread to the "...News" section but it said (twice) that I don't have permission even though it knew my name i.e. my login ID was correct. I have posted there before, though admittedly it hasn't been recent. Has there been a change to posting policy?

The reason I WANTED to post a new thread was...

2. This morning I have noticed strange site behavior. At least a couple of times this morning already, I have apparently started to "double post" - i.e. I enter my post, no obvious problem except that it takes longer than it should based on prior behavior. But then it opens the "Advanced" posting box and I get a note that forum software requires me to wait 30 seconds before posting a second post. If I scroll down I can see that what I posted is already in the thread. I'm not doing anything different today than I have done before to create new posts, so I'm at a loss to explain it from me being unusually clumsy with posting technique. This double-posting happened to me recently but only once and I assumed I was just sloppy with the mouse, but this morning I'm not so sure.

EDIT: It happened again and I was very careful with the click this time. So that's three double-posts this morning. I have cleaned up the aftermath but it is just odd. Further, I have my system set up to NOTIFY me when an update occurs, so I don't think this is the result of an overnight update of my system.

EDIT #2: And again, but THIS time I didn't use the mouse. I used the tab key to step to the correct posting button and then tapped the ENTER key. But it still double-posted.

Last edited:

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:31
The message thing happened to me yesterday where is sent the message twice and made me wait. The login credential caching appears to be expiring before I can finish typing in many cases.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Glad to know I'm not the only one who saw that.

I'm crazy and I know it - but I didn't think I was hallucinating.

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
To the programmers of this site:
The logout timing is annoying as hell. It seems that you have broken the caching.
I am seeing double messages, sending double messages in some cases and can't seem to finish a post without drafting it in Notepad before my credentials expire on the site.

If this is a push to get us to pay for the subscription, can you just be plain about that and I'll give up the friggin' $.

I've been using this site for nearly a decade and have no reservations against paying to continue but this is getting ridiculous with having to log back in every two sentences.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I don't have that issue in IE or Chrome. What browser are you using? I wonder if they are browser settings.

Insane_ai

Not Really an A.I.
Local time
I don't have that issue in IE or Chrome. What browser are you using? I wonder if they are browser settings.

Windows 10 Pro V.1803 OS Build 17134.112
64-bit OS, x64 bit processor
Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0
Microsoft EdgeHTML 17.17134

If the browser is the issue, I'll argue with the admin to allow Chrome on my box, this will serve as the "Business use" case as I need access to this forums for my position.

Sorry for the vent, I got frustrated trying to work something out. I've been dealing with the issues on this site for a while; it just got to me today.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Have you tried to check the box that keeps you logged in?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I'm using Firefox, latest version for Win7/64-bit. I've had occasional problems with staying logged in but not like Insane AI is mentioning. The double-post problem has quieted down, though.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:31
Most times these things solve themselves of their own accord.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:31
News forum is only for admins. Use the Site Suggestions for the issues you mentioned.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK on the "News" forum. I'll use "Suggestions" (as I did in this case) for anything having to do with site performance issues. (No, I'm really not up on being an Admn - don't want the implied responsibility.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom