Return to Top (1 Viewer)

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:15
Have a 'return to top' button in thread. Like at UtterAccess and AccessForums. I prefer UtterAccess approach.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:15
I second the motion...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:15
How do you mean that? Top of page or top of thread? Because the HOME key will take you to the top of the page anyway (for most browsers).

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 10:15
...and the End button takes you to the bottom (end) of the thread

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:15
Guess I've never done that. It's a long reach for me but will try to use. However, if I am on mouse, would like to just click button. Just like options.

deletedT

Local time
How do you mean that? Top of page or top of thread? Because the HOME key will take you to the top of the page anyway (for most browsers).

...and the End button takes you to the bottom (end) of the thread

Now a days, having a mouse for right hand and a space pro for left hand is common. Using keyboard short cuts are too far and out of rich.
For me keyboard is only for typing mails, not working on applications.
So having a button on the page is much more convenient.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
That looks fun! I've added a space pro to my wish list. :D

A button may well be more convenient but all Doc and I were doing was showing that the functionality is available now.

Each forum has slightly different functionality.
Only the site owner Jon is able to make changes.

AWF is using an older version of the vBulletin software than AF.net and I don't know whether the Top button functionality is available. UA uses a different forum application.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Wouldn't you need to be ambidextrous to use that.?

FWIW I still use Ctrl + (C,X,V) rather than right click, most times. :D

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:15
Some of us old toots learned back in the MS-DOS/Wordstar days about shortcut keys and that is why we still use them. Lifting your hands away from the mouse now and then might help if you have incipient carpal tunnel syndrome.

deletedT

Local time
That looks fun! I've added a space pro to my wish list. :D
I know it’s a bit expensive, but once you start using it, you cannot spend a minute in front of your pc without it.

Wouldn't you need to be ambidextrous to use that.?

FWIW I still use Ctrl + (C,X,V) rather than right click, most times. :D
My mouse comes with 12 buttons. Several buttons are dedicated to these short cuts.:)

Some of us old toots learned back in the MS-DOS/Wordstar days about shortcut keys and that is why we still use them. Lifting your hands away from the mouse now and then might help if you have incipient carpal tunnel syndrome.
I’m another old toot who has started from DOS. But my job requires me to run ahead of others.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You can just press Home on your keyboard to take you back to the top. Or End to take to the end. Did anyone know that?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi Jon.
Yes some of us did. See posts #3 and 4.
However, the OP would prefer the button rather than using the keyboard

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Oops, missed that it was already pointed out.

I wish an iPhone had a back button like on Android.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I can see the benefit of a button for those users using their smart phone or tablet - but would need to fix the the fact the whole page scrolls at the moment. Perhaps with floating buttons that don't scroll?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
This sites software is not very "mobile ready." It's too old.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Switching to a newer version of software, like Xenforo, is possible, but I looked into it. There were several site owners who said it trashed their traffic. So, am I prepared to take the risk of permanently destroying the number of visitors to this site? It is not an easy decision to make.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Can you run a demo/test site in parallel briefly to see how e get on with it?

It must be possible to migrate posts over in this day and age, and also push google searches towards the new site / rename the new to the old ?

I'm guessing it's the latter that is the issue, takes time for the search engines to catch up with the move?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
You can migrate all the posts over and have all the same urls. But other site owners have had their traffic plummet. Not all, but some do. And many of them are permanently down in traffic.

I started a thread on this issue a couple of months back. Not sure if you can see the Customer forums but here is the link: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/fear-of-upgrading-from-vbulletin-3-8-to-xenforo.163894/

In that thread, someone pointed me to this thread: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xf-2-0-google-will-only-index-about-30-of-xenforo-urls.161923/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom