Dlookup Within Dsum Query (1 Viewer)

Laser

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:27
I dont know if it's me or what, but I always have problems with the correct syntax for the D's... You know the Dlookup, DSum,DLast and so on but I generally find the answer using Google and various forums to glean an answer. But this one has me flumoxed. My question is can I use a Dlookup within a Dsum calculation for a Textbox? If so, can any kind person indicate what I am doing wrong with the following line of code?

=DSum("AmountPaid","InvoicePayments","ChequeNumber <>'Credit' AND PaymentDate = #" & DLookUp("[Completed]","AncillaryData") & "#")

Many thanks in anticipation..

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:27
you are only dlookup-ing the [completed] field of ancillarydata.
this will return the first record it will find in that table.
you must add a Criteria.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Why not use a total query then you would only need to lookup the value for the date

mhope it helps mick

Laser

Registered User.
Local time
Hi arnelgp, Thanks for looking and responding to my problem. Ancillarydata holds various data under different names so no need for criteria.

DLookUp("[Completed]","AncillaryData") works fine as standalone and so does the other part DSum("AmountPaid","InvoicePayments","ChequeNumber <>'Credit' AND PaymentDate= #16/8/2019#")

But together they fail to produce a result so I guess its something to do with the date being pulled from AncillaryData and inserted into the whole line of code.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Using Domain functions in a query is slow as each record has to be checked row by agonising Row.
To compound that using both DSum and DLookup will give poor performance if you get it working. Suggest trying a different approach

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 17:27
as I have said it will pick up the first record in dlookup.
if only 'Credit' is on the table on that date, it will return Null.
so better cast the expression to Nz() function.
Code:
=Nz(DSum("AmountPaid", "InvoicePayment", "ChequeNumber <>'Credit' AND PaymentDate = #" & DLookup("[completed]", "AncillaryDAta") & "#"), 0)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom