Question about control not updating table (1 Viewer)

got_access:]

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:02
Hi all,
I've got a friend who has asked me a question about an Access system.
I don't have access to this system myself to look at it - so I can only describe.

The issue is a form in which there is a control field which either provides a drop-down list or simple data entry. The data value this control is supposed to hold is a year value. So the user would select "2019" for example or type it in.

From what I'm told - on save - this control does not actually insert the year value into any table. The user is then forced to go to the actual table and find the new record and insert the year value.

I know there can be controls on forms that are not BOUND to any data source and this YEAR field may have been designed to perform some calculation rather than to insert a value.

But is there a possibility that this control was intended to insert a value into a table and at some point a user perhaps inadvertently switched one of the control's properties off - which would allow it to perform the insert?

I'm trying to remember what property of the control this would be?
Any suggestions would be greatly welcome
Thanks

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 15:02
look at the ControlSource property of the combo and check if it is blank.
put the correct date fieldname there.

if it is really unbound, you add the date field to the form as textbox and on it's Visible property set to No. you can add the Year to the table by adding code to the Form's BeforeInsert event:

Private Sub Form_BeforeInsert(Cancel As Integer)
Me.dateFieldTextboxName = me.comboDate
End Sub

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Also, just to be safe, please ask your friend if there's anything in the AfterUpdate event of the control. If there is, ask for a copy and post it here, please. Thanks.

Mark_

Longboard on the internet
Local time
I'd also check that the controls source is actually the field they want to update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom