American Banks and their part in my downfall (1 Viewer)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:21
I live in the Mid-Atlantic, which is the wealthiest part of the United States .

I see you're still sprouting Pro American nonsence, unless you live on a boat (probably the Mary Celeste) there is nothing but water in the mid Atlantic, it does not belong to and is not part of the US:rolleyes:

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Yesterday, 22:21
I see you're still sprouting Pro American nonsence, unless you live on a boat (probably the Mary Celeste) there is nothing but water in the mid Atlantic, it does not belong to and is not part of the US:rolleyes:

And good morning to you Rich,

I see you spelled it mid Atlantic not Mid Atlantic, which indicates that you’re still in charge of your faculties, and you know the difference.

So it makes me reluctant to correct you, because I am very aware of your little game.

As you so properly spelled it, the mid Atlantic is not owned by the US. It was however, at one time, divided by Spain and Portugal, in an agreement known as Treaty of Tordesillas in 1494.

Now of course the Mid Atlantic, properly referred to as The Mid Atlantic Region or Mid Atlantic States is located about mid way up, and is obviously on the Atlantic Coast.

Here’s an interesting side bar: according to Wikipedia ( I looked up Mid Atlantic as to make sure that my facts were correct) and those guys seem to think it was originally and more properly referring to New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, and that it later grew to include, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and Washington DC.

Wikipedia;[/font said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_States]
The Mid-Atlantic States (also called Middle Atlantic States or simply Mid Atlantic) form one of the nine geographic divisions within the United States that are officially recognized by the United States Census Bureau. The division consists of three states: New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania.[1] This definition corresponds with the region's traditional definition as the section of the Atlantic Seaboard between New England and the South. However, the states south of the Northeast, centered in Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia, are also considered by some to be part of the Mid-Atlantic region.
The traditional Mid-Atlantic States comprise the most densely-populated of the nine U.S. regions, and anchor the megalopolis which runs from Boston to Washington, D.C..

That original division was based on geography but I think Wikipedia is incorrect to include the three North East States of New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Now a days it’s more of a life style, economic, and social distinction.

It would be interesting to hear from some others on how the Mid Atlantic is perceived.

Thank you Rich, for giving me a chance to expound on something and learn a little in the process.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I take it then, you took no part whatsoever in your recent election process where for the last 2 years every candidate (viable or not) at least claimed once that America was the greatest country on earth.

Apparently, their patriotism is brought into question if they don't make this statement

Of course they would say that, they are politicians. Do your politicians not use phrases like that to show their patriotism for their country? My point was that the average Joe does not walk around saying such things.

Do you not believe your country is the greatest in the world? If you don't, then why do you live there? Why not migrate to the one which you do believe is the greatest in the world? No country is perfect, but it doesn't mean that you don't feel your's is the best.

Vassago

Local time
Actually they're less likely to be elected if they don't lie and state that they believe in a god;)

This is probably true. It's such a hypocritical stance on many Americans to say they believe in a god, yet then they completely counter it by breaking every "rule" of the Bible. I guess all's well though, all you have to do is ask for forgiveness and the slate is wiped clean. :D

Vassago

Local time
Thales750

Formerly Jsanders

Clear, well thought out, illuminating, well presented and a unique perspective.

Moderators - This is clearly the sort of nonsense we need to keep out of this forum!

I think it's time for a banning! :cool:

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:21
I find it hard to understand the anti American feelings.

Does anyone seriously believe that we would be better off if America had been a shrinking violet and either Russia or China was the dominant player?

America has been criticised for being a war monger yet the same people are critical of America for being late for WWI and WWII. Make up your mind.

How many people benefited from America's home loan and credit boom in general. I suppose the people at Porsche, Mercedes, BMW etc said....this is not right so we will restrict car supplies to America...:D

With all the ratbags in the Middle East, if it had not been America you could be sure China would be there to secure oil. Which country would you prefer to be there.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Only one person made a comment on my rantings, are you guys sleeping, or did you all get too old in the last few years?

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Of course they would say that, they are politicians. Do your politicians not use phrases like that to show their patriotism for their country? My point was that the average Joe does not walk around saying such things.

Do you not believe your country is the greatest in the world? If you don't, then why do you live there? Why not migrate to the one which you do believe is the greatest in the world? No country is perfect, but it doesn't mean that you don't feel your's is the best.

South being burnt to a crisp
North being drowned by floods
Kid in Queensland eaten by a crocodile
Man just attacked by a shark in Sydney harbour

Leave all this? Are you kidding!

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time

Actually Australia is really lucky when it comes to natural disasters. 200 dead would not even make the news in a lot of countries.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 02:21

Glad to see the Australian sense of humour is still going strong:)

BeerSnob

Former Redneck
Local time
That's very funny.

Road building
The CDC
OSHA
NASA
The US Coast Guard
FEMA (before Bush)
NOAA
EPA (Again before Bush)
FBI
IRS
Fire departments
Police Departments

Some of those departments shouldn't exist at a federal level, and I wouldn't call ANY of them efficient (except your local fire department).

Public Schools until families stopped disciplining their children and expected the schools to do it for them. America produced the best educated work force in the world in public schools.
Charter/Private schools are definitely better run and put out a better student than the public ones. Glad you said "America produced" instead of "America produces" That would've been funny.

Water and Sewer Treatment
Building Regulators
The Smithsonian
National Parks
These should all be run by private enterprise. No constitutional authority for any of that stuff. Building Inspectors make fun targets, though.

The good thing about arguing with libertarians is that their Imams preach such a limited view, and say it in the same old tired words, you can spot them a mile away. That’s why they call them selves ditto heads.
I don't quite fit in the libertarian bucket, but I'm pretty sure they don't call themselves "ditto-heads". That term is used by conservative listeners of some pompous gas-bag on the radio.

My writing may sound harsh and for that I do apologies, but I’m infuriated by this propensity of some Americans to believe that their personal interests are more important than the good of the country.

No worries... Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
However, I'm a strict adherent to the Constitution. What it laid out was a set of LIMITATIONS on fedaral government - not a list of minimum things that they must do. If they'd have been a little stricter with "enumerated powers" way back then, America wouldn't be in the mess it was in now.

You don't seem to like conservatives or libertarians, and it seems most of the liberals here don't like you. Kinda strange - are you some kind of "centrist"?

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 19:21
Maybe I should answer with the same smug comments you give...

Ah yes, the typical non-American response, "It's all America's fault"

If you truly have financial difficulties, how about you take some of your own advice you so freely and unapologetically give and fess up to your own mistakes that put you in that bind. Neither any single American nor anyone else forced you to sign for any credit you may have taken. If you made poor financial decisions, the blame is on you. Even if you argue that banks and financial institutions were partly to blame with their free-for-all lending practices, how many American financial institutions did you do business with? If you did, the key word there is YOU did business with them.

Take some personal responsibility for your situation, then get out there and fix it, stop blaming others for your poor choices.

I fess up to not having yet been made redundant, and wonder at the blame you attached to those who have been.

I thought it was luck. Good and bad. Is that not the yankee opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom