Flat Earth and Hollow Earth Theories (2 Viewers)

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:55
Back to the forum topic for a moment. Someone needs to take a couple of flat earther leaders up to the space station for a few hours watch the earth move under them.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
I don't think flat-earthers actually believe in a flat Earth, sort of like Pastafarians don't actually believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster. It's just a fun thing to claim membership in, and it gets a rise out of people. It's kind of like writing 'Jedi Knight' in the religion field of your census form. It's all in good fun.

Chemtrails people, by contrast, are actual crackpots--like anti-vaxxers and alien abductees--because they honestly believe themselves. They cannot distinguish signal from noise when it comes to grasping basic facts about how the world works.

IMO
Mark

Beetle

Duly Registered Boozer
Local time
Today, 03:55
...sort of like Pastafarians don't actually believe in a Flying Spaghetti Monster...

Speak for your self blasphemer. I had a meeting with the Almighty just last night. Notice how the fork appears to be hovering? That's because it is. I submit this as definitive proof of the FSM.;)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 685

jleach

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:55
(not to try to derail the thread again, but just for the record: when I said actual musical instruments, that did include ones of the electronic nature - what I meant was those who make music by grabbing digital samples of things actual musicians have played and using those to put together... songs, I guess they call them? Turntables are borderline... ok for a supplement)

Beetle

Duly Registered Boozer
Local time
Warms my heart to see a true believer. :)

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Oh Geez, you had to bring up the Hollow Earth. I actually have some books on that subject.
Now grandpa mentioned the Hollow Leg I want to let you know that is actually true and the guy was convicted in Denver, CO. He actually worked at the Denver Mint (where they use to, in the old days mint coins out of gold and silver). He had lost a leg, don't know the details, and re-engineered his wooden leg to be hollow. This was way before the invention of metal detectors, so over many years, he managed to take inventory... home and buy it in his garden.
He was eventually caught, had spent none of it, it was not an insignificant amount. The story went viral in its day. You can google this and enjoy that story yourself. For decades, when something was missing, the muse would be about a Hollow Leg. Way to keep up tradidions!

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
The Hollow Earth- I blame Haley - the comet guy - he published a theory that the Earth was made of rings, each seperated with atmospher of glowing gas.
Then, the London Royal --- the science club decades ago -- actually had real debates about it. J. Verne novel "Journey to the Center of the Earth" was based on multiple concepts of the day. A military group wanted an expidition to the North Pole, expecting to find a hole.
There were serious individuals who used ancient texts and science of the day to keep this concept going. It appears that even Hitler was into this and other theories. We can scoff while his V2 with no computers could hit within an 8 block area in our friends in the UK.
In modern times, we have questions based on physicas about the Earth's Iron Core. Of course, we can't examine it. The Mass of the planet brings up lively debates that bring up something other than Iron. Perhaps its a calibration issue or something we have no idea about.
The recent discovery of dwarf and protoStars with thier evolution are bringing up much wilder ideas than Jules Verne books.
The evolving understanding of the Ort Cloud - extending two light years out - in layers - describes a Shell around the Sun.
Ok, a shell supported by the photon forces and solar wind that suspends mass against gravity, creating a shell, adding to the total mass of our Solar System if we count the Ort Cloud and Planet 9 as the Solar System.
Now, a small type of a proto-star, with heavy mass arond 1G would accumulate other mass. Some are asking if there could be a model where its force might have built a shell, thousand of miles thick.
This of course would not be the Hollow Earth with people, dino's, Nazi's, and Space Aliens all having a party on the beach. Like Jupiter, Pluto and other things we are amazed to learn in space, it would be a dynamic structure.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:55
Rx
I'm a physicist by training but you lost me in the latter part of that post

OK I realise you meant Halley (comet), the Royal Society and the Oort cloud but where I got lost was this part:

The evolving understanding of the Ort Cloud - extending two light years out - in layers - describes a Shell around the Sun.
Ok, a shell supported by the photon forces and solar wind that suspends mass against gravity, creating a shell, adding to the total mass of our Solar System if we count the Ort Cloud and Planet 9 as the Solar System.
Now, a small type of a proto-star, with heavy mass arond 1G would accumulate other mass. Some are asking if there could be a model where its force might have built a shell, thousand of miles thick.

Also I've never heard of any debate suggesting issues with the structure of the earth's molten core based on the total mass of the Earth.

Please do explain....!

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
An example of concepts about the Earth: Equatorial vs Polar Diameter: Because of this, the diameter of the Earth at the equator is about 43 kilometers (27 mi) larger than the pole-to-pole diameter. As a result, the latest measurements indicate that the Earth has an equatorial diameter of 12,756 km (7926 mi), and a polar diameter of 12713.6 km (7899.86 mi)
This shape, caused by the flattening at the poles, is called an oblate spheroid. My bald head resembles that remark.
The US Navy research keeps adjusting the Pole measurement.
Measurements started 2,000 years ago. Alexandria Eratosthenes peered into a well at noon and came up with the diameter and circumference of our planet.
The world's Navy have since updated it, and updated it. It is harder than you think! Then again, our pole wabbles 30 to 70 feet. And then, there is a gravitational variance if you care to read the US Naval Observatory description of measuring poles to every spot on earth methodology.
OK, so what did that have to do with Newton?
Newton was just another science guy hoping to get funded by Royality.
The talk at the time was about the poles, if it was the same and so on.
Several ancient discoveries at the time claimed the unit of the Inch came from: The distanct from the Earth's Pole to Pole divided by 500,000,000
This from a times before Western society acknowledged the whole sphere thing.
The story goes that Newton knew a popular opportunity when he saw one.
He set out to use something beyond Eratosthenes for accuracy. He did make a major adjustment that stood pat for a long time. It valided the inch story.
Then came modern equipment, space measurement and more.
Newton's adjustmet was re-adjusted.
The Pole-to-Pole distance this year was 7,901 Miles.
7,901 x 5,280 x 12 = 0.5 Billion - OK 0.5006 - off 1/10 of 1%
But Wait... the Earth slowing down is adjusting the pole diameter.
The 5,000 year old story would have been much closer, unless the story was even older.
The Russian science adjust for the gravitational change of 27 miles causing the measurement distortion. After all, they were the first to orbit pole to pole. The Russian measurement pole to pole is 7,892 miles.
NOW do your math! Where do you put the odds the Inch just happens to fit?
So now, your Round Earth is full of conspiricy theries too!

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
They seem to describe a flame in every direction - creates a sphere of materials drawn to it, creating a shell. A force field of ions or other forces keeping matter at bay.
The proto stars, dwarf stars seem to be more common than thought as detection systems evolve. The last live cycle is called by some a dark dwarf.
In the case of the Earth, a big Iron core - in the middle - someting hot and powerful despite the crushing weight.
While I am not buying it with until maybe more modeling is available.
One of the interesting studies was a English Navy Engineer studying capitulation of propellers. Why would it just chew up big metal propellers? A void or bubble of nothing. Later studies show the collaspe of each void bubble is hotter than the sun.
The research here set up sonic standing waves to create them tens of thousound of times a second. It might be near to proving Cold Fusion. Propeller bubbles to cold fusion. Not expected at least by me.
So, could a type or fragment of a star form some kinds of planet as a shell around the star?
No idea. But, glad people are considering it. I am sure they wouldn't be happy being associated with Hollow Earth.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
RE: iron core being Molten: Even though it is hotter than the surface of the Sun, the crystallized iron core of the Earth remains solid. A new study from KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Sweden may finally settle a longstanding debate over how that's possible, as well as why seismic waves travel at higher speeds between the planet's poles than through the equator.
This has been a debate for some time.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Proof the Earth is not flat.

Attachments

• FlatEarth.jpg
    FlatEarth.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 774

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:55
Further proof that the UK is utterly divided at the moment with London and the South East in Europe & most of the rest of the country separated already.
In fact Boston, Lincs which was I believe the largest % supporting Brexit seems to be in a bit of a hole right now!

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:55
We would have to see the front of these trousers to properly locate the promised land.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
RE: iron core being Molten: Even though it is hotter than the surface of the Sun, the crystallized iron core of the Earth remains solid

Matter phases depend heavily on both temperature AND pressure. Under pressure, some things will refuse to melt. That is why some folks think that even gas giants and smaller, colder stars may well have solid cores.

The math specific to the theoretical derivation depends on too many factors. For that reason, I will not offer any detailed analysis. It is my OPINION (clearly stated as such) that some parts of the core may be molten since it is the spinning motion that creates our magnetic field and if everything was solid deep down there, we would not have any kind of spinning other than in exact lock-step with planetary day/night cycles. But the scientists who have studied this say we don't have that situation.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 05:55
The Earth's mantle is molten. The core is at the center of that, where the pressure of all the mass outside of it finally forces the material back into the solid phase. It's a solid floating in a fluid which is, itself, contained within another solid (the crust).

It's a lot like filling a bowl with molasses, putting a baseball inside the bowl, and then spinning the baseball (except that the impetus for motion is the core's inertia rather than coming from the outside).

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Frothy, that image works for me. I'm surprised that the International House of Pancakes didn't make a breakfast bowl that resembled a baseball in a bowl of syrup to commemorate the opening day of baseball season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom