Report with sub-reports running out of memory (1 Viewer)

jjmclell

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:15
I'm running Access 2010 and I've created a report that has 3 nested sub-reports. When I add the third, the report starts crashing when I go to view it with the following errors:

• system resource exceeded
  • there isn't enough memory to perform this operation

I've read that reports can contain up to 10 nested sub-reports, so I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Any ideas?

rpeare

Registered User.
Local time
I've got some reports that have up to 15 or so subreports but they are short and do not take much calculation to run, if your subreports are very menory intensive (lots of calculations in both the query and the report on each record) you may be running into this. An option to get around this is to split your subreports into two different main reports, that may not be possible but you may also be able to look at some optimization of your database like creating indexes at the table level or trying to do all your calculations on the report level instead of the query level.

jjmclell

Registered User.
Local time
This is what I find strange... I'm really doubtful I'm pushing Access to its limits. Here's the structure of my report:

Main report - record source is a table with 6 records, no calculations

Sub-report 1 - record source is a table with 24 records, no calculations

Sub-report 2 - record source is a table with 382 records, no calculations
Sub-report 3 - record source is a table with 736 records, no calculations

Each sub-report is nested in the one above it. Does any of this seem extreme?

rpeare

Registered User.
Local time
if you are nesting them and you are not applying filters to the subreport then you have way more than you think you do

6*24*382*736 = 70,800 possible record combinations

That still doesn't seem like much but if you try to put a criteria on the subreports for each report int he level above it it might make a difference.

jjmclell

Registered User.
Local time
I figure out it seems to just be a problem when viewing the report, as it's turning out to be about 120 pages. It prints to PDF fine, so it doesn't actually seem to be a problem building the report, just an issue viewing it all on screen in Access.

A bit of a ridiculous report to create but it's what was requested...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom