Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Reports

Old 08-01-2017, 06:01 AM   #31
isladogs
Part time moderator

Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,500 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: Access Report to PDF loses unique URLs

No you're not giving up - that would be silly

Unattached labels do have an On Click event.
Apologies - the instructions I sent you should have said that - not On Load - my error
I've amended the contents of the zip file in #29

Hopefully that will FINALLY fix it for you.
If not, go ahead & post it.

BUT as I wrote in a PM, don't post the whole db.
We only want the relevant parts
So in your case - the report plus any tables / queries and possibly forms needed to go with it
Copy these to a new database. Run it to check it works without error.

Then compact it - Tools - Compact & Repair
If its still over 2MB, zip it then post

Website links:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,

Last edited by isladogs; 08-01-2017 at 06:23 AM.
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:22 PM   #32
nickaccess
Newly Registered User

nickaccess is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridders View Post
No you're not giving up - that would be silly

Unattached labels do have an On Click event.
Apologies - the instructions I sent you should have said that - not On Load - my error
I've amended the contents of the zip file in #29

Hopefully that will FINALLY fix it for you.
If not, go ahead & post it.

BUT as I wrote in a PM, don't post the whole db.
We only want the relevant parts
So in your case - the report plus any tables / queries and possibly forms needed to go with it
Copy these to a new database. Run it to check it works without error.

Then compact it - Tools - Compact & Repair
If its still over 2MB, zip it then post
Here it is. There are two reports they are both the same. The TEST one is one I have been messing around with. The main one has the original code in it looking for the keyVal and it works brilliantly, but as you all know by now, I have been saying it a million times (sorry) when I PDF it, it all dies by adding the file path to the front of the URL when I save it, so it will not work. Let me know if you need anything else. You will not be able to test it(?) as it is normally linked to a live database (OBDC) to gather the information. Good Luck, sorry if I have been a pain and sorry if you can see immediately that I am really bad at working in Access.

Thank you.
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...1&d=1501658540
Attached Files
File Type: accdb Stats Report.accdb (508.0 KB, 32 views)
nickaccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:14 AM   #33
isladogs
Part time moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

OK - today's silly error ....
The link on your last post is to the post itself so if you click on it, it also downloads the attached file!

I've modified BOTH reports adding the one line of code I posted back in post 25
As you didn't upload any tables, I can't test it.

This is what you should have done to upload the linked table with your database copy:
1. Import the table - as it's a link this actually re-creates the link.
2. Right click on the linked table in the Navigation Pane & select Convert to Local Table
3. Delete all but a few records. Keep about 10. Modify any confidential data in the remaining records if necessary.
4. Compact the db then upload (or zip & upload)

You MAY get an error when you click on the reports saying it was formatted for a specific printer on my PC (Epson AL1600). That's because it couldn't find your printer on my PC. If so, allow Access to change it back

I strongly recommend to devote time to studying some YouTube videos on working with Access. Those by Steve Bishop are particularly useful as they form a complete course - actually 3 courses - beginner/intermediate / advanced.

Here is the list of videos in the first of these courses:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...03jQ_t9nFV737s

Even experienced programmers find his videos useful as they are so wide ranging & comprehensive in scope

The videos work best if you have sound - maybe wear earphones if in the office
Attached Files
File Type: accdb Stats Report - CR.accdb (512.0 KB, 22 views)

Website links:

Colin
Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10,
The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
nickaccess (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 04:54 AM   #34
nickaccess
Newly Registered User

Quote:
OK - today's silly error ....
The link on your last post is to the post itself so if you click on it, it also downloads the attached file!

I've modified BOTH reports adding the one line of code I posted back in post 25
As you didn't upload any tables, I can't test it.

This is what you should have done to upload the linked table with your database copy:
1. Import the table - as it's a link this actually re-creates the link.
2. Right click on the linked table in the Navigation Pane & select Convert to Local Table
3. Delete all but a few records. Keep about 10. Modify any confidential data in the remaining records if necessary.
4. Compact the db then upload (or zip & upload)

You MAY get an error when you click on the reports saying it was formatted for a specific printer on my PC (Epson AL1600). That's because it couldn't find your printer on my PC. If so, allow Access to change it back

I strongly recommend to devote time to studying some YouTube videos on working with Access. Those by Steve Bishop are particularly useful as they form a complete course - actually 3 courses - beginner/intermediate / advanced.

Here is the list of videos in the first of these courses:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...03jQ_t9nFV737s

Even experienced programmers find his videos useful as they are so wide ranging & comprehensive in scope

The videos work best if you have sound - maybe wear earphones if in the office
Hello,

Thank you so much for the links I will watch them all.

I think I have done everything that needs to be done. Can you please have a look and let me know. Don't worry if its wrong, I will give it a rest and look at it another time. There should be some things to look at and work on. Good Luck and thank you so much for all of your help.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...1&d=1501678461
Attached Files
File Type: accdb Stats Report.accdb (704.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 08-02-2017, 05:37 AM   #35
isladogs
Part time moderator

Quote:
Thank you so much for the links I will watch them all.
Great but not all on the same day ....

Quote:
I think I have done everything that needs to be done. Can you please have a look and let me know.
Does it work at your end?

This is your query SQL:
Code:
SELECT UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.keyval, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.DATEAPRECV, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.DATEAPVAL, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.DATEEXPIRY, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.PROPOSAL, OfficerNameV7([offcode]) AS Officer_Name,[List_WARDS (Ward Names)].XTRATEXT, ONELINEADDRESS([ADDRESS]) AS [SITE ADDRESS], UNIFORM_DCAPPL.DATEAPACKN, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.ADDRESS
FROM UNIFORM_DCAPPL INNER JOIN[List_WARDS (Ward Names)] ON UNIFORM_DCAPPL.WARD =[List_WARDS (Ward Names)].CODEVALUE
WHERE (((UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*CDM*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*MAJ*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*MIN*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*HOU*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*31*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*GP2*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*PRDE*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*AMD*") AND ((UNIFORM_DCAPPL.DATEAPACKN) Between [Start Date] And [End Date]));
If you had tried it before posting. you'd realise its looking for a table called 'List_WARDS (Ward Names)' which you didn't include
Can you add that table , check the file and re-post

Once I have everything, it will only take a couple of seconds to check it.

P.S. I also strongly recommend that you don't have spaces or special characters like ( ) in table & field names
e.g. List_WARDS (Ward Names) should be something like ListWardNames or WardNames

Website links:

Colin
nickaccess (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #36
nickaccess
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Great but not all on the same day ....

Does it work at your end?

This is your query SQL:
Code:
SELECT UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.keyval, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.DATEAPRECV, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.DATEAPVAL, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.DATEEXPIRY, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.PROPOSAL, OfficerNameV7([offcode]) AS Officer_Name,[List_WARDS (Ward Names)].XTRATEXT, ONELINEADDRESS([ADDRESS]) AS [SITE ADDRESS], UNIFORM_DCAPPL.DATEAPACKN, UNIFORM_DCAPPL.ADDRESS
FROM UNIFORM_DCAPPL INNER JOIN[List_WARDS (Ward Names)] ON UNIFORM_DCAPPL.WARD =[List_WARDS (Ward Names)].CODEVALUE
WHERE (((UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*CDM*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*MAJ*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*MIN*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*HOU*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*31*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*GP2*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*PRDE*" And (UNIFORM_DCAPPL.REFVAL) Not Like "*AMD*") AND ((UNIFORM_DCAPPL.DATEAPACKN) Between [Start Date] And [End Date]));
If you had tried it before posting. you'd realise its looking for a table called 'List_WARDS (Ward Names)' which you didn't include
Can you add that table , check the file and re-post

Once I have everything, it will only take a couple of seconds to check it.

P.S. I also strongly recommend that you don't have spaces or special characters like ( ) in table & field names
e.g. List_WARDS (Ward Names) should be something like ListWardNames or WardNames
I think I have managed to get the Ward Names in. If I take out the () would that affect anything? I have a lot of lists that have () in them, carried over from a old system (not my way of doing them). Thank you again, the light is shining at the end of the tunnel
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...1&d=1501744881
Attached Files
File Type: accdb Stats Report.accdb (704.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 AM   #37
isladogs
Part time moderator

I still can't test the report as there's another table missing: UNI7LIVE_CNCODE or something like that. This is used by the 'List_WARDS (Ward Names)' query which is needed for your report

Add the table and please CHECK the queries / reports open without error before reposting .... again!
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (7.3 KB, 129 views)

Website links:

Colin
nickaccess (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 01:56 AM   #38
nickaccess
Newly Registered User

Quote:
I still can't test the report as there's another table missing: UNI7LIVE_CNCODE or something like that. This is used by the 'List_WARDS (Ward Names)' query which is needed for your report

Add the table and please CHECK the queries / reports open without error before reposting .... again!
Sorry I am making a pigs ear out of this one
Old 08-03-2017, 02:17 AM   #39
nickaccess
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickaccess View Post
Sorry I am making a pigs ear out of this one
Hi ridders

Not sure what is happening now. I have put the CNCODE into the system and deleted everything on it apart from Wards. It will not run without error, as in the screenshot. I am sure there is enough records to pull through but still unsure why this is happening. Sorry, I have caused you a lot of work but I am thinking of just scrapping this whole thing now, its getting too much and a lot of time especially from you. I am really grateful and I wish I could at least buy you a pint hahaha. Thanks as always, Nick

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...1&d=1501755390
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CNCODE.JPG (25.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 02:30 AM   #40
isladogs
Part time moderator

If you can fix the table issue I'm happy to look at it.
Having got this far, it seems a shame to give up on it.

Alternatively if you can copy the whole thing with all tables converted to local tables, compact the db then zip it will it fit under 2Mb limit?

Website links:

Colin
Old 08-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #41
nickaccess
Newly Registered User

Quote:
If you can fix the table issue I'm happy to look at it.
Having got this far, it seems a shame to give up on it.

Alternatively if you can copy the whole thing with all tables converted to local tables, compact the db then zip it will it fit under 2Mb limit?

Here goes, I think its all there. And go............

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...1&d=1501765116
Attached Files
File Type: accdb Stats Report.accdb (1.49 MB, 28 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #42
isladogs
Part time moderator

Hi

No its still not all there

You obviously aren't checking items properly before you post it.
If you had run the query or the report, you would see why I'm saying that
Try the attached copy yourself & you'll see what I mean!

The queryWeeklyPlanningList used as the report record source refers to a function that you haven't included
- OfficerNameV7([offcode])

The report is looking for an .mde file somewhere on your network

I've moved the hyperlink code to the correct item Label57_Click.The report is trying to sort by 3 fields but all of them are 'missing so it shows 'expression'

I've deleted the 2nd report as its even worse

Next I looked at your tables....
2 of your 4 tables don't have a primary key field
The table Uniform_DCAPPL does have a PK but also has something like 220 fields which is ridiculous and close to the max allowed in Access.

I'm not sure whether you designed this db or inherited it but the structure of your tables needs completely revising. I realise this is only part of your db so imagine other parts will have similar issues.

I urge you to spend time studying Steve Bishop's videos before doing anything else to this database

In the meantime,I would also strongly advise that your department devotes the funding needed to get this database properly sorted out by an expert or group of experts

If its currently being used for planning application work by your council, then I would be worried about the consequences as it stands

I'm sorry but, unless you upload something I can use, I'm not going to spend any more time on this.
Attached Files
File Type: accdb Stats Report - 3Aug2017.accdb (1.53 MB, 13 views)

Website links:

Colin
nickaccess (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 12:25 AM   #43
nickaccess
Newly Registered User

Quote:
Hi

No its still not all there

You obviously aren't checking items properly before you post it.
If you had run the query or the report, you would see why I'm saying that
Try the attached copy yourself & you'll see what I mean!

The queryWeeklyPlanningList used as the report record source refers to a function that you haven't included
- OfficerNameV7([offcode])

The report is looking for an .mde file somewhere on your network

I've moved the hyperlink code to the correct item Label57_Click.The report is trying to sort by 3 fields but all of them are 'missing so it shows 'expression'

I've deleted the 2nd report as its even worse

Next I looked at your tables....
2 of your 4 tables don't have a primary key field
The table Uniform_DCAPPL does have a PK but also has something like 220 fields which is ridiculous and close to the max allowed in Access.

I'm not sure whether you designed this db or inherited it but the structure of your tables needs completely revising. I realise this is only part of your db so imagine other parts will have similar issues.

I urge you to spend time studying Steve Bishop's videos before doing anything else to this database

In the meantime,I would also strongly advise that your department devotes the funding needed to get this database properly sorted out by an expert or group of experts

If its currently being used for planning application work by your council, then I would be worried about the consequences as it stands

I'm sorry but, unless you upload something I can use, I'm not going to spend any more time on this.
Thank you ridders, your help has been really appreciated. From the start I made it clear that I was by no means an expert, I have taught myself as you all know. I cannot thank you and everyone else, especially you with this matter. I know it was never going to be easy, so THANKS A MILLION TIMES.

Tags
reports , unique , url

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: