Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Modules & VBA

Old 07-17-2019, 02:27 AM   #1
aziz rasul
Newly Registered User

aziz rasul is an unknown quantity at this point
Using the Replace function

I have a field where I want to replace specific values to a different value as part of an Encryption process. I then want to Decrypt the data back to what it was.

Hence if I have say the following data which forms a part number of a product

yEr456

I want to Encrypt this so that I end up with

sGb!()

I am using the following code to do this. If I use the code to replace the y to s, I use

Code:
Current.Execute "UPDATE tblTempEncryption INNER JOIN [" & strTableName & "] ON tblTempEncryption.[DATAAUTONUMBER - " & strFieldName & "] = [" & strTableName & "].[DATAAUTONUMBER - " & strFieldName & "] SET [" & strTableName & "].[" & strFieldName & "] = Replace([" & strTableName & "]![" & strFieldName & "],'y','s');"
However when the following code is run afterwards to replace any 'S' to 'C', it replaces the 's' to 'C'.

Code:
Current.Execute "UPDATE tblTempEncryption INNER JOIN [" & strTableName & "] ON tblTempEncryption.[DATAAUTONUMBER - " & strFieldName & "] = [" & strTableName & "].[DATAAUTONUMBER - " & strFieldName & "] SET [" & strTableName & "].[" & strFieldName & "] = Replace([" & strTableName & "]![" & strFieldName & "],'S','C');"
In other words my code doesn't distinguish between 's' and 'S'. Hence I end up with 'y' becoming a 'C' rather an a 's'.

Human reproduction process - one spermatozoon, out of 100's of millions, enters the egg and is secured, the fertilized egg becomes a clot and eventually implants itself to the wall of the uterus, referred to as implantation.
Moreover We placed him as a drop (nutfah) in a safe lodging. Then We created the drop (nutfah) into a clinging clot (alaqah).
Qur’an – Surah al-Mu’minun (The Believers) 23:13-14
See also Qur'an 21:30, 21:104 regarding creation and end of the universe (and the creation of a new universe).
aziz rasul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:39 AM   #2
CJ_London
Super Moderator

Thanked 3,613 Times in 3,488 Posts
CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light CJ_London is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Using the Replace function

take a look at the documentation for the replace function here https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-e0a4ef67d181
you need to add a value to the compare parameter - vbBinaryCompare

?replace("S23","s","X",,,vbBinaryCompare)
S23
CJ_London is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJ_London For This Useful Post:
aziz rasul (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:58 AM   #3
aziz rasul
Newly Registered User

aziz rasul is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Using the Replace function

Many thanks

Human reproduction process - one spermatozoon, out of 100's of millions, enters the egg and is secured, the fertilized egg becomes a clot and eventually implants itself to the wall of the uterus, referred to as implantation.
Moreover We placed him as a drop (nutfah) in a safe lodging. Then We created the drop (nutfah) into a clinging clot (alaqah).
Qur’an – Surah al-Mu’minun (The Believers) 23:13-14
See also Qur'an 21:30, 21:104 regarding creation and end of the universe (and the creation of a new universe).
aziz rasul is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: