Backend database is suddenly getting inconsistent stat (1 Viewer)

Blancorn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:34
Hello everyone.

With my new application I have already released to my colleagues I 'm facing one big issue which never happened before with all my applications.

Users are connecting to the backend database through frontend installled on their desktop. There are maxiumum 6 users working with database at the same time.

Almost everyday backend database is suddenly getting inconsistent state.
When this happen I need to open backend database and execute compact&repair.

Do you have any idea why my database is getting inconsistent state? Is there any smart way to find a root cause?

In case there is no way to eliminate root cause, maybe is it possible to trigger compact&repair automatically while the user close the frontend?

There is also one constraint: all my users have only runtime installed (no Access full version is available on their PC's).

Thanks in advance for your support.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:34
Typically, "Inconsistent state" comes about when someone closes their application in a way that doesn't correctly preserve data being written back to the back-end file. For instance, rebooting a computer or pulling the power plug on a busy front-end. Networking issues can also do this because the FE/BE connection uses the Server Message Block protocols (the same as used for Windows File Sharing). Therefore, a network glitch has the potential to whack you every time.

Is everyone on the same version of the Access Run Time? Was the app developed on the same version of Access (full) corresponding to the version of Access (run-time)?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 15:34
It sounds as if the DB isn’t split or if it is, someone is using the “master” copy on a shared location.

Is your DB application split and is everyone using their own copy of the Front End on their local PC?

Blancorn

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:34
Database is already split.
Backend contains only tables.
Users have on tge desktops frontend whichcontains forma and queries.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:34
See also the "sticky" at the top of this forum on "Renaming databases..." You have to dig into it a bit, but it gives an explanation similar to the one posted by Dave.

The whole problem apparently stems from trying to make network traffic better for file sharing, and in the process, Microsoft made SMB traffic worse for Access. They did so by allowing deferred caching protocols which run the risk of keeping buffers open longer. Which in turn increases the size of the time-window during which bad network events can destroy the validity of a disk buffer. And that is where corruption drops into your lap. The apparent solution (IF this is the source of the problem) is a way to disable the new option that would allow longer deferrals on buffer write-back operations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom