Basic Form questions (1 Viewer)

AndrewCH

Local time
Today, 21:31
Hi all,

I’m brand new to Access, so have been teaching myself as I go along. Actually enjoying this a lot!

Currently, I have a Database containing:

1 table (‘Contacts’)
2 forms (‘New Entry’ and ‘Start Here’)
2 Macros (‘FollowupFilter’ and ‘ShowAll’)

I’m struggling to figure out how to do a few things:

The ‘Start Here’ form has ten attributes, with new records added through the ‘New Entry’ form. One of the attributes is ‘Country’ and I’d like to have an option so I can filter all records in the ‘Start Here’ form by a particular country (similar to how you can do this in Excel through filtering and selecting the checkboxes). I want to make this user-friendly, so ideally without having to use the filter system built into Access. I thought about doing this through a Macro (which I’ve done with the above macros for other fields), but the ‘Country’ field has 20+ options so having a range of buttons wouldn’t really be a good system. If there’s an option to filter by multiple values that would be great too.

On the New Entry form, one of the fields is ‘Product’, and there is currently a combo box list of 10 products. I want users to be able to select multiple products. I’ve found out about ‘Multivalued fields’, but it doesn’t appear that these can be used in a Form. Is this the case? What other solutions are there?

Finally, when a new record is added (through the New Entry form, appearing in the Start Here form), it goes to the bottom of the list. How can I change the default sort options so that the most recent record created appears first? I want this to be the default so that users don’t have to change it when opening the file.

Hopefully I’ve explained that well enough! Any guidance/advice/suggestions would be really appreciated.

Andrew

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:31
You've told us a lot about HOW you've done something.
But in plain English -just as you would tell someone in a line up at McDonalds who doesn't know you, doesn't know database and doesn't know Access-
please describe WHAT you are trying to accomplish.

AndrewCH

Local time
Sorry, that's a very good point.

I want staff to be able to log a series of inquiries from people about particular products. This is currently done in Excel, but it's very unwieldy.

In Access, the table obviously lists all the records, but the two forms are the user-facing attributes. I'll be hiding the Navigation Bar and the 'Start Here' form will be the landing screen for users.

Does that make sense?

AndrewCH

Local time
Hi all,

Can anyone shed any light on the above problems? Would love to head into work on Monday and tackle this!

Enjoy your weekends!

Surka

IT dude
Local time
Today, 18:31
Yes, it makes sense. Employee inputs inquiries from people:

Make a form with all the fields needed, which the employee will complete and save them into the table.

Last edited:

AndrewCH

Local time
Yup, that's exactly it! Do you have any advice with regard to my questions above?

Thanks!

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:31
If you have a table in Access that is setup as the Excel sheet... I have very bad news for you.
This setup will never work.
So, show us, for the beginning, your table structure. (a picture from the Table Design View window will be, I hope, enough).

Not sure but I think that you can post JPGs. If not, ZIP the pic and upload it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom