How can I make a cell only a name I authorize? (1 Viewer)

sherswan

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:47
I would like my project to have a cell which will only accept and recognize names I authorize, and as someone starts to type in their name I want it to fill in for them. I remember you could make people choose only certain colors or makes, but is there a way for me to do this?

sherswan

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:47
I have found the way to do the data conversion, which made me enter only part of each persons name because it ran out of space. But I do have the arrow that you click on and get the drop down menu with the name choices there. Not what I really want. I would like their full name there, and I would like it to fill in as you start typing. Any suggestions?

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:47
Check out Data Validation

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 18:47
Note, changed extension from xlsx to xls so it could be uploaded.

There may be someway to make this search on the type-in cell.
Couldn't remember. Let us know if you find it.

Attachments

• listexample.xls
    9 KB · Views: 108

MarlaC

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:47
The easiest way to do this is with a combo box ("the arrow that you click on and get the drop down menu with the name choices there"). Unless your names are more than 255 characters or you've limited the fields to fewer characters than are in the name, there should be no reason for the full name not to display, though your combo box properties may also be the culprit (column width, etc.).

Not sure what advantage there could be to making it more complex, but you could always write some code for one of the key events (key press, key down, key up) that would look up possible values in a table or (not advisable) hard-coded array if you really, really want to avoid a nice simple combo box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom