Datediff problem (1 Viewer)

arrowmakers

Local time
Today, 04:36
Hi I hope somebody out there is able to help....

Im farly new to access and have been asked to complete a small project which has me pull my hair out.
Heres the problem :I have a query runs fine, supplies all my data I need , but I need to be able to date diff between to fields in the same column and deliver the date difference to a new field (yet to be created) in the same query , I have tried all i know and nothing works.
My data looks as follows

dt | agent_id | agent_name | Date diff
| | |
30/11/2018 | 1186 | me | 1
| | |
31/11/2018 | 1186 | me | 1
| | |
04/12/2018 | 1186 | me | 4

Any options would help Ive been at this for 2 days ,and am ready to jump out the window, anything please..............

Last edited:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Firstly I'm not sure I understand what dates you are trying to compare as there only appears to be one date in your data?

Secondly, you shouldn't actually store that type of data if it can be calculated.

In your query the format for the calculation would be something like

Code:
CalcDays : DateDiff("d",[FirstDateField],[SecondDateField])

This would give you the number of days between the two fields.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
you need to use a subquery to get the the previous record. Your full query will be something like

Code:
SELECT dt, agent_id, agentname, dt-(select max(dt) from myTable T WHERE agent_id=myTable.agent_id AND dt<=myTable.dt) as DateDiff
FROM myTable
ORDER BY agent_id, dt

note the aliasing of myTable within the subquery

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:36
First, arrowmakers, welcome to the forum.

Second, for future reference, we have many headers within the forum. This post should have gone under "Queries." But don't take this as a knock. We see it all the time from new members. Probably at some point soon, one of the moderators will move the post to the right place.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
cross posted here https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=77357

@arrowmakers - there is nothing wrong with cross posting but it is polite to advise that you have done so because responders may spend sometimes a considerable time composing a response and are not too pleased to find someone on another forum has provided much the same answer. Consequently posters who get a reputation for not advising the cross post tend to be ignored.

hernan

Local time
Yesterday, 23:36
Example:

dt | agent_id | agent_name |DateDiff
30/11/2018 | 1186 | me | |
31/11/2018 | 1186 | me | |
04/12/2018 | 1186 | me | |

But for me, it has something like two same IDs, with two different dates, but it does not show all the data in his example. In fact , the received report can use a column for the dates, by their own configuration, but you can be sure that there are two rows with the same ID. You only need to find the minor date between the two rows and then apply the function. As an basic idea, you can create two tables: one with the smaller date and another with maximum date.

And you want it:
id| dt | agent_id | agent_name |DateDiff
A25|30/11/2018 | 1186 | me | 1|
A48|31/11/2018 | 1186 | me | 1 |
A25|04/12/2018 | 1186 | me | 4|

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom