Update formula (1 Viewer)

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 11:29
Greetings, Been a while since I've logged in..

Anyway,

I have a spreadsheet with many cells that have formulas and part of the formula is the number 1000. This is used as a multiplier in the formula and I need to change all of them to 10,000. I thought I could do this with the replace tool. It finds the 1000 but it changes the entire formula to just 10,000. The rest of the formula is deleted. Am I missing something or is the extent of the find and replace formula feature?

Thanks for any help or insight anyone may be able to offer -

Ranman256

Local time
you should put the 10000 value in a cell...ie Z1, or some remote cell.
Then you dont change the formula, just the value.

but, as to your problem, you can use vb to scan thru the formulas and change it that way.
Code:
for each cell in range
  cell.FormulaR1C1="=R[-1]C+1"
next

KenHigg

Local time
Thanks - Yes that is what I plan to do. I will tinker with the code - Thanks!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 16:29
Hi Ken , long time no speak!
Whilst I agree with Ranman256 about using a cell to contain constants that may change , I don't no why you cannot use the find and replace function. I wondered if I was going senile but tried it and it works ,just changes the 1000 to 10000 in each formula.

Brian

I fact you can use it to change your formulae to the method suggested by Ranman by making the replace value z1 or where ever you have placed the constant.

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 16:29
I'm getting slow in my old age, name the cell that the constant is in and change the formulae to reflect that thus making them clearer.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom