The best FREE software thread (1 Viewer)

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:09
I don't know if this was listed, but I really like virtual clonedrive. I can mount an iso, without even showing the gui. Just right click and click mount. Makes it easy for those new to using iso files.

Virtual Conedrive

irish634

Registered User.
Local time
I use this free CD burner software all the time:
CDBurnerXP

A free software that is comparable to MS Project is:
Open Project

A free installation wizard/packager:
Inno Setup

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:09
Right guys I need some free software but hoping someone has done something similar so can recommend one:

I want to take an image of my HD as a backup...

I know of clonezilla but apparently it is quite tricky to use.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:09
I am trying to find a semi decent free video editor where I can "freeze frame" and point out important stuff in the frame, or whats about to happen then continue the video made.

Anyone have any ideas about any such software?

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:09
I am trying to find a semi decent free video editor where I can "freeze frame" and point out important stuff in the frame, or whats about to happen then continue the video made.

Anyone have any ideas about any such software?

From first post ;)

Video and audio capture/ edit
VitrualDub - clicky it is a little tricky getting used to, if you want to dive right in why not use Windows Movie Maker - it comes with XP

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Been a while but only one good update - Got a BluRay disk drive ? Want a BluRay ripper ? and want to make the file 'portable' use MakeMKV. It will create a mkv file (Matroska) which can be played via VLC player, Media Player Classic or with the K-Lite codec pack for Windows Media Player - everything 100% free of course.

boophoenix

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:09
One I've enjoyed since win98 for image viewing, minor effects or shading, and resizing. Would even fit on a 3.5 back then before cd burners were affordable. Will still fit without extra plugins.

http://www.irfanview.com/

I was actually surprised to not find it in this list unless I over looked it.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
One I've enjoyed since win98 for image viewing, minor effects or shading, and resizing. Would even fit on a 3.5 back then before cd burners were affordable. Will still fit without extra plugins.

http://www.irfanview.com/

I was actually surprised to not find it in this list unless I over looked it.

Actually, I listed irfanview in the #2 post of this thread. ;-) To this day I still use irfanview for quick edits and only use photoshop for important photo editing.

boophoenix

Registered User.
Local time
Actually, I listed irfanview in the #2 post of this thread. ;-)

My apologies I sure enough missed it. I should have looked twice as it's not over looked often. I did realize It's about time for me to update my version though so it was at least of benifit to me to over look it and list it again :).

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
I have got to add this one Sculptris a 3D modelling/ sculpture tool - I haven't tried it out yet but it looks awesome, right up there with Blender. Created in 6 months by one man, an extremely impressive piece of software.

Video demo clicky

LadyDi

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 22:09
Do you know of any free charting software? My manager is looking for software that will create types of charts not avaliable in MS Excel (i.e. speedometer charts). However, our budget is extremely limited.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Do you know of any free charting software? My manager is looking for software that will create types of charts not avaliable in MS Excel (i.e. speedometer charts). However, our budget is extremely limited.

The beauty of Excel is how powerful it is, there are many 'hacks' for things like this (it's a case of thinking outside the box) Speedometer chart you might want to check this site that has loads more 'unusual' charts.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 17:09
Any suggestions for Internet Blocking software??

When we travel, our Internet bill Sky Rockets:eek:. We have had USD1,000 or more a month.
How can we prevent staff from downloading Music and Video??

Did use Smoothwall and this was Excellent but required it's own pc which we no longer have a facility for and we also have two data lines so would require two smoothwall loaded pc's.

Looking for something we can install on the users pc.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Any suggestions for Internet Blocking software??

When we travel, our Internet bill Sky Rockets:eek:. We have had USD1,000 or more a month.

Did use Smoothwall and this was Excellent but required it's own pc which we no longer have a facility for and we also have two data lines so would require two smoothwall loaded pc's.

Looking for something we can install on the users pc.

Have your staff sign a document that they will not download non business related files. If they break the rules, then you get rid of them. If they are not trustworthy with something as simple as that then think of what else they are probably doing that you are not aware of.

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time

How are they doing this because if they are using software you need to take admin rights away.

You might also remind them that if they are doing this illegally its not (just) them breaking the law its the company. The consequences of which could be very nasty (iirc it's about $300,000 per infringement for corporates).

Even if they are downloading them legally the laptop belongs to the company and anything on it therefore belongs to the company so technically the company is still breaking the law as it has not paid for them.

PNGBill

Win10 Office Pro 2016
Local time
Today, 17:09
Thanks, I will do the Form Signing bit as this will enforce the seriousness of the issue.

Don't suspect the downloads are "illegal", just eat up the mb's which untill recently cost 30c each, now cost 10c each but still not free.

Other problem is getting accurate info on what has happened. ISP can't supply anything except mb's and staff say the files were from a flash drive. Should include such in the form as we don't want flash drives and possible IT std's:eek:
None of the pc's have floppies anymore.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:09
Image Magick is a free opensource image converter and manipulation package.
Can be commandline driven or used through a multitude of interfaces on various platforms. It supports over 100 image formats.

Ideal for automated image processing implemented via VBA. Must have for any developer working with images in any environment.

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

rustyCrVx

The Post is a Lie
Local time
Not sure if it was already mentioned but majorgeeks.com has a pretty extensive and well organized list of freeware/shareware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom