Go Back   Access World Forums > Non-Access Issues > Politics & Current Events

Old 10-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #31
AnthonyGerrard
Newly Registered User

AnthonyGerrard is on a distinguished road
Re: North Korea - Fact or Propaganda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
True in many cases. Of course in cases where the government is willing to use force against its citizens, often their first act is disarming the citizens.

So much easier to keep people in chains when you start by taking away their ability to resist.

I agree - but if guns are I guess the last resort on opposition to the government. I think teh goverment may have already taken away a lot of freedoms by that point anyway.

I guess that how a lot of "patriots" is that what they are called in The US feel. Are they right?

AnthonyGerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #32
scott-atkinson
I'm with the Witch.......

scott-atkinson is on a distinguished road

The Express are always selling their Doom stories, I don't believe a word the Rag prints now...
Old 10-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #33
Steve R.
Retired

Steve R. will become famous soon enough Steve R. will become famous soon enough

There is a real question over the concept of "citizen". Just because you reside in what is called a "country" does not mean that you owe your allegiance to that so-called "country".

Iraq for example is not a real "country". It is an amalgamation of several ethnic and religious groups, some who seek independence like the Kurds. Other current examples include the Catalonians and Scots. Past examples include the Irish and the Sudanese.

Another example, that seems not to hit the headlines, is the plight of the Rohingya in what is now Myanmar (Burma). The current government of Myanmar has been accused of ethnic cleansing.

So depending on the definition of "country" many ethnic/religious groups can be defined as either "patriots" or "terrorists". If the international community gets behind certain groups, they will emerge as "patriots" otherwise they will be vilified as "terrorists".

And in-line with those designations the ownership of weapons (and subsequent violence) is either considered justified or considered illegal.

As a nonsensical example. Many in the US scream hysterically for gun control, yet the US was busy shipping weapons to so-called Syrian rebels. The obvious illogic: it is OK for Syrian dissidents to be armed but not the public of the US even-though it is supposed to be a Constitutional right.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #34
Mark_
Newly Registered User

Mark_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyGerrard View Post
I agree - but if guns are I guess the last resort on opposition to the government. I think teh goverment may have already taken away a lot of freedoms by that point anyway.

I guess that how a lot of "patriots" is that what they are called in The US feel. Are they right?
I think you are thinking of self styled "Militia".

For a better answer on "Is violence the answer", check with anyone who belonged to Sinn Féin. There are those who still resent "English oppressors on Irish soil". Similar sentiments across the globe where any two groups seeks political dominance over the same area.

I've had a few interesting conversations regarding Kosovo with a similar feel. Serbs often feel a right to regain their "Rebel province", Serbs living their feel disenfranchised, and Albanians are worried about an "Armed and belligerent" minority living close by. Many in Kosovo have weapons (legal or otherwise) because they are fearful of the save violence that had gripped the area for decades.
Mark_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #35
Harper
Newly Registered User
Silver Supporter

Harper is on a distinguished road

Their singular agenda of becoming a super power isn't going to happen with the majority of their population in hunger. That's a fact.

Harper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: