Changing Record Source (1 Viewer)

NearImpossible

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:06
Wondering if someone can point out the obvious as I seem to be missing it more and more lately.

I would like to use the same form for entering notes, however, depending on underlying form that it is launched from, the Record Source could be different.

I am using a double click event to launch the form with the following code
Code:
Private Sub Equipment_DblClick(Cancel As Integer)

DoCmd.OpenForm "FacilityEquipmentNotes", acDesign, WindowMode:=acHidden
        Forms!FacilityEquipmentNotes.SourceObject = "dbo_FacilityEquipmentNotes"
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "FacilityEquipmentNotes", acSaveYes

DoCmd.OpenForm "FacilityEquipmentNotes", , , "[EquipmentID]= " & Me.[EquipmentID]

End Sub

However I am getting Run-Time error 2465: Application-defined or object-defined error and it highlights on the following
Code:
Forms!FacilityEquipmentNotes.SourceObject = "dbo_FacilityEquipmentNotes"

If I mouse over dbo_FacilityEquipmentNotes it shows dbo_FacilityEquipmentNotes=empty, which is not the case and if I just specify dbo_FacilityEquipmentNotes as the source on the form properties, it works just fine

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:06
Hi. SourceObject is mainly for subforms. I might just use an unbound form and simply pass the Note back to the calling form.

June7

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:06
Your narrative says you want to change RecordSource yet your code changes SourceObject. SourceObject is a subform container control property.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 09:06
Notwithstanding the confusion about RecordSource vs SourceObject:
I would like to use the same form for entering notes, however, depending on underlying form that it is launched from, the Record Source could be different.
I take that to mean the same form for notes that are related to various 'things' so the data source for the notes form is different sometimes. Regardless, don't repeatedly modify a form in design view to do whatever it is you're doing. If all you want to do is alter the form record source, do so in the open event of a form (or SourceObject, as the case may be).
If I mouse over dbo_FacilityEquipmentNotes it shows dbo_FacilityEquipmentNotes=empty
Because that would be Me.dbo_FacilityEquipmentNotes. You are saying it is equal to the string "dbo_FacilityEquipmentNotes" which it is not.

NearImpossible

Registered User.
Local time
Your narrative says you want to change RecordSource yet your code changes SourceObject. SourceObject is a subform container control property.

yes, I wanted to change the Source Object so please forgive my wording as obviously RecordSource refers to something completely different, but as previously Identified by DBguy, Source Object is for SubForms so I am going back to the drawing board.

Appreciate everyone's input

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Post back if you get stuck; start a new thread if it's not related to this problem.
Maybe all you need is to effect which recordsource you use for the one and only notes form. Either the combo after update event or something that is driven by user action (such as a button click) would be fine. As was pointed out, you can also use an unbound form for notes, but that might be a bit more complicated than what you're up for at present.
Good luck!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The unbound Notes popup form I was thinking about was nothing more than a glorified Zoom Box (like a popup calendar, if you will).

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
The unbound Notes popup form I was thinking about was nothing more than a glorified Zoom Box (like a popup calendar, if you will).
I figured as much. Not sure how popular the idea is but I've seen it mentioned (probably here) before.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I figured as much. Not sure how popular the idea is but I've seen it mentioned (probably here) before.
And since it won't have anything but one big Textbox control, it shouldn't be too complicated to code either.

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:06
Use the recordsource property and OpenArgs
eg
docmd.openform "FacilityEquipmentNotes",,,,,,"dbo_FacilityEquipmentNotes"

In the form's open event
me.recordsource = "select * from " & me.openargs

NearImpossible

Registered User.
Local time
After looking at this a little closer, I guess I was looking more for pre-populated field sources from the underlying form vs a different source object.

I was able to make it work using unbound text boxes and the OpenArgs based on where it is opened from. I also have 2 other bound input fields where notes will be entered as the fields identified below are more for referencing the selected device.

Code:
If Me.OpenArgs = "EquipmentNotes" Then
    Me.EquipmentID = [Forms]![Facilities]![FacilityEquipment subform].[Form]![EquipmentID]
    Me.NotesName = [Forms]![Facilities]![FacilityEquipment subform].[Form]![EquipmentName]
    Me.SerialNumber = [Forms]![Facilities]![FacilityEquipment subform].[Form]![Serial Number]
    Me.AssetTag = [Forms]![Facilities]![FacilityEquipment subform].[Form]![Asset Tag]
    Me.Location = [Forms]![Facilities]![FacilityEquipment subform].[Form]![Location]

ElseIf Me.OpenArgs = "TicketAdd" Then
    Me.EquipmentID = [Forms]![AddTicketEquipment]![EquipmentID]
    Me.NotesName = [Forms]![AddTicketEquipment]![EquipmentName]
    Me.SerialNumber = [Forms]![AddTicketEquipment]![Serial Number]
    Me.AssetTag = [Forms]![AddTicketEquipment]![Asset Tag]
    Me.Location = [Forms]![AddTicketEquipment]![Location]

ElseIf Me.OpenArgs = "EquipmentSearch" Then
    Me.EquipmentID = [Forms]![Equipment Search]![EquipmentID]
    Me.NotesName = [Forms]![Equipment Search]![EquipmentName]
    Me.SerialNumber = [Forms]![Equipment Search]![Serial Number]
    Me.AssetTag = [Forms]![Equipment Search]![Asset Tag]
    Me.Location = [Forms]![Equipment Search]![Location]

ElseIf Me.OpenArgs = "Transfer" Then
    Me.EquipmentID = [Forms]![TransferFacilitySelector]![TransferFacilityEquipment Subform].[Form]![EquipmentID]
    Me.NotesName = [Forms]![TransferFacilitySelector]![TransferFacilityEquipment Subform].[Form]![EquipmentName]
    Me.SerialNumber = [Forms]![TransferFacilitySelector]![TransferFacilityEquipment Subform].[Form]![Serial Number]
    Me.AssetTag = [Forms]![TransferFacilitySelector]![TransferFacilityEquipment Subform].[Form]![Asset Tag]
    Me.Location = [Forms]![TransferFacilitySelector]![TransferFacilityEquipment Subform].[Form]![Location]

End If

Good to know that the source object is used for SubForms though as I do have a couple situations where that will come in handy.

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Glad to hear you got it sorted out. Good luck with your project.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
FWIW, when I see a lot of repeated code I feel compelled to promote the use of variables or aliases. So you can also do like:
Code:
Dim frm As Form

Select Case Me.OpenArgs
 Case "EquipmentNotes"
   Set frm = [Forms]![Facilities]![FacilityEquipment subform].[Form]
   Me.EquipmentID = frm.EquipmentID
   Me.NotesName = frm.[EquipmentName]
   Me.SerialNumber = frm.[Serial Number]

Case "TicketAdd"
   Set frm = [Forms]![AddTicketEquipment]
   Me.EquipmentID = frm.EquipmentID
and so on

End Select
One could proffer that the repeated use of Me is also a candidate for compression, but that is only 2 characters, plus you'd need to add the start and end of a With block (2 more lines per Case block) so why bother? Hopefully you can see how much easier it is to read (and less to write) just by looking at the first Case block.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 14:06
I'd just have the frm object set in the Case statement and then the controls set outside the Case statement?

Code:
End Case

Me.EquipmentID = frm.[EquipmentID]
    Me.NotesName = frm.[EquipmentName]
    Me.SerialNumber = frm.[Serial Number]
    Me.AssetTag = frm.[Asset Tag]
    Me.Location = frm.[Location]

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
I'd just have the frm object set in the Case statement and then the controls set outside the Case statement?
Excellent! I never bothered to notice they were the same all the way through. I saw the repetition and basically stopped reading. Maybe I should read the whole post every time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom