Go Back   Access World Forums > Microsoft Access Discussion > Forms

Old 06-18-2019, 03:23 AM   #1
billgyrotech
Banned

billgyrotech is an unknown quantity at this point
Clerk Lock

Hello,

I have a form AFRs. There is a Status field that is either "Open" or "Closed". When it's "Closed" all fields for that record cannot be edited including the AFRsParts tab which is good.

When the Status is "Open" all fields can be edited.

My request is:

Have the fields that the Clerk enters be locked and grayed out triggered by when the Clerk prints the Tear Down report (this will show they cannot be edited to the user) and have a button when they are this way to "Clerk Unlock" if needed:

AFR Number
SO Number
Received Date
Clerk
Customer
Description
Part Number
Serial Number
Customer Complaint
Preliminary Inspection
Warranty
Proper ID
Hidden Damage
Checked ADs
Checked SBs
Old Part Number
Old Serial Number

Thank you very much for your help in advance,
Bill

Last edited by billgyrotech; 06-18-2019 at 12:33 PM.
billgyrotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:14 AM   #2
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

Thanked 3,326 Times in 3,002 Posts
isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold
Re: Clerk Lock

This is easily achieved using the Tag property.
Assign the same Tag value to all the controls you want to disable/lock at the same time
See my example database as mentioned by Uncle Gizmo in a previous thread
http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/s...ols/4594398114

Colin (Mendip Data Systems)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
isladogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:44 AM   #3
billgyrotech
Banned

Thank you Colin but it has too much going on for me. I am not sure how to apply to my situation.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #4
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold isladogs is a splendid one to behold

1. Import the entire module modControlState from my example spp to your own database
2. Assign the same Tag value e.g. CL (for ClerkLock) to all the controls you want to lock
3. In the event where you have code to open the report, add one or both of the following lines immediately afterwards
Code:
EnableControls False, "CL”
LockControls True, "CL"
Then in your button event, reverse the above
Code:
EnableControls True, "CL"
LockControls False, "CL"
That's all there is to it!

Website links:

Common sense and a sense of humour are the same thing, moving at different speeds. (Clive James - RIP)
Old 06-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #5
billgyrotech
Banned

I can copy that module to my database but I don't see how to include the fields to be locked. I can only see that this module will include all active fields.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #6
billgyrotech
Banned

I suppose I can have different front ends:

One that has all fields locked (a read only version)
One that is for the Clerk to enter the initial data which has all fields unlocked
One that has the Clerk fields locked for the Technicians to fill out the rest of the fields
Old 06-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
billgyrotech
Banned

With my limited ability maybe keep different front ends.

Thanks anyway Colin

Old 06-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #8
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

You can certainly make work for yourself by having different front ends.
You will then have ongoing additional work maintaining two sets of front ends so that both stay synchronised as further development work takes place.

However why do that when a simpler solution is available?
I listed all you need to do in my last post. Its easy and will take no more than a few minutes

To assign the Tag property, open the form in design view.
Select each of the form controls you want to lock - if you hold down the Ctrl key you can select them all at the same time.
Then go the the Other tab on the property sheet and enter the tag value e.g. CL

Attached Images
File Type: png Tag property.PNG (28.8 KB, 108 views)

Website links:

Last edited by isladogs; 06-18-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #9
Gasman
Enthusiastic Amateur

Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough Gasman is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgyrotech View Post
I suppose I can have different front ends:

One that has all fields locked (a read only version)
One that is for the Clerk to enter the initial data which has all fields unlocked
One that has the Clerk fields locked for the Technicians to fill out the rest of the fields
I would not even give that a thought. You will only create much more work for yourself. At the best 3 different forms and even that would be a lot more work any time you changed one of the forms.

A little effort now will save you a lot of effort later on.

Please, please use code tag # when posting code snippets

Gasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #10
billgyrotech
Banned

Do I put "CL" in every field's tag value ?

I also don't see the Tag property like what you highlighted in #8

Last edited by billgyrotech; 06-18-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:08 AM   #11
billgyrotech
Banned

Thanks for trying to help.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:22 AM   #12
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

You use the tag property of each of the form controls you want to lock...like I showed you in the screenshot.
You cannot do this in the design of the table.

Website links:

The Following User Says Thank You to isladogs For This Useful Post:
billgyrotech (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #13
billgyrotech
Banned

I do apologize for not being able to do what is easy for you but I cannot seem to make this work.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #14
isladogs
High Noon Moderator

I've noticed that you reach a certain point in threads then seem to give up saying 'its too difficult for me' and marking the thread solved.
If you are to become more proficient, you need to persevere.
In this case, I suggest you carefully study the example application and re-Read my detailed instructions.

It might be a good idea to watch the Access tutorials by Steve Bishop available free on You Tube.

Website links:

Last edited by isladogs; 06-18-2019 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Fixed incomplete post
Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #15
billgyrotech
Banned

Your solution isn't working for me no matter what I have tried.

You can criticize me that is your choice and I am sorry that you feel this way.

I am not giving up and will keep trying to find the best solution for my situation.

Thanks

PS I have responded with my sincere appreciation for your help.

Last edited by billgyrotech; 06-18-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: